Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dresden Cushion - advice on how to come up with a pattern? >

Dresden Cushion - advice on how to come up with a pattern?

Dresden Cushion - advice on how to come up with a pattern?

Old 01-17-2018, 09:22 AM

Default Dresden Cushion - advice on how to come up with a pattern?

My son's preschool has asked if I can make a replacement cover for this cushion (we are woefully behind on our mandatory parent volunteer hours, so I'd like to try to oblige). They haven't given me measurements, but my husband picked it up today and said it's "closer in diameter to a tire than a dinner plate." I've looked for a tutorial online for a similar cushion but haven't had any luck. The current cover isn't removable, so I think I need to start from scratch instead of trying to patch it.

The top is just a dresden, so it should be easy to make a template from one of the sections on the existing cover and put that together. I'm thinking I'll make a template for the side pieces in the same way and sew the "pointed" part in for each segment, then stitch the sides together. This looks like it was made with a thinner fabric, but I'm going to use quilting fabric because it's what I have and what I'm comfortable using!

I'd appreciate any thoughts on my plan in general, and ideas on two additional issues in particular:

1. Ideally I'd like to make it removable so that it can be washed and so it can be fixed instead of replaced if it gets worn again. What would the best way be to go about this? A zipper on the bottom?
  2. Any thoughts on how to replicate the white piping between the segments? I've never seen piping this thin before. I'm thinking about just telling them that it's too much of a PITA and I'm going to do it without the piping.

TIA!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]587214[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]587215[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]587216[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails cushion-1.jpg   cushion-2.jpg   cushion-3.jpg  
Old 01-17-2018, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

My first reaction would be to piece the top, but make about half the side segments from a fabric with some give, such as a high quality fleece (not a minkee type), stretch denim, indestructible 1970's double knit etc. This will make it much easier to fit snugly and take it off and on. The zipper should go in the seam between the side & the bottom. Make it as long as possible. If you just put it in the bottom, even going edge to edge, it will not be a large enough opening to get the cushion form in and out. I would make the bottom canvas or denim.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 01-17-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

Regarding the piping, I think I would experiment with a narrow satin stitch.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:53 AM

There are a Lot of tuffet tutorials online right now. I would think one of those might be just what you are looking for.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-17-2018 at 10:08 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 01-17-2018, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Regarding the piping, I think I would experiment with a narrow satin stitch.

Thanks! I don't know why it didn't occur to me that this might just be a decorative stitch on top. I'll see how annoyed I am with it after I get the top pieced and give that a try if I'm feeling ambitious enough

I definitely was thinking a canvas or maybe even heavy felt for the bottom so that it wears well (no idea what's there now). Do you think it will look strange to use a different type of fabric for the top and the sides?
Old 01-17-2018, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic View Post
There are a Lot of tuffet tutorials online right now. I would think one of those might be just what you are looking for.
Thank you! I did indeed find a ton of tuffet tutorials, but none that have this combination of dresden on top and segments on the side. Everything I found is more like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]587221[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 37a7d0db2c3591be65e5f934e10af56a.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-17-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

While the piecing was pretty, I think I might do a solid cover and then applique a Dresden plate on top.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

tuffet came to my mind. They are all the rage right now.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

this tute here might help you Tuffet/hassock
Old 01-17-2018, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

One thing you may want to consider (and perhaps you know the answe already?) ..... how important is replication, vs. something similar that can serve the purpose? You may want to discuss with the "powers-that-be", before going ahead with the project. For someone who does not sew, they maybe asking for the same, but never thinking about how it could be better with some changes.

Being in a pre-school setting, I would expect this cushion will see a lot of wear. You may want to consider something more rugged than a quilting cotton for your fabric choices. Perhaps an upholstery assortment?

Another thought, if going with traditional quilting cottons, what about using a selection of novelty prints. Would be fun for the kids to explore the fabrics, and of course, the I Spy game could be played.