View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 07:01 AM
platyhiker

Originally Posted by boykinsmommy View Post
I sent my quote to her last night. $10/hr. Plus cost of materials. I always get materials cost up front.
Did you include your estimate of the number of hours this project will take? And more importantly, is the estimate truly realistic? Take a look at your past repair projects of what your initial impression of how long it would take, and how long it actually took. As a software engineer, even after more than 20 years of experience, I have to multiply my initial impression of a coding (and designing) task's length by at least 2 or 3. Your past projects will give you some idea of what your multiplier to should be. (It could be 10 or higher!) As you gain experience in an area, your multiplier will go down, but for many people, it never hits 1. (I think we naturally tend to be optimistic for tasks we at least some-what enjoy.)

I tend to agree with Peckish this may be a project to walk away from. Maybe encourage them to frame a section of the quilt to enjoy it. (Even after all this work, they're going to end with a display-only item.)