View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 05:12 AM
OurWorkbench

Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Hi,

I restore vintage sewing machines. I have a scarce machine that according to ISMACS was made in 1889.
The problem is that it has World War II wrinkle finish paint and that means it's 1940s or 1950s.
The bobbin race cover has a patent number on it and it says the patent was filed in 1934.
So, this machine could not be made any earlier than 1932, when the theoretically first commercial machine could have been sold.

According to New Home, this green New Home machine does not exist. Really?
The serial number is about 884000 and has a model LLC riveted plate. Underneath in the casting it says 'LLB, 201-2 and on the next line is a 2'.
So, what is this machine's model number? A Model LLC made in the USA.

Stefan
Welcome Stefan.

I can't help with needle issue, but hopefully I can clear up the serial number and approximate manufacture date. The ISMACS New Home serial numbers are only for the machines manufactured in Orange Massachusetts prior to 1930. They later moved to Rockford Illinois. Your machine would have been in the early 1950s. If you look at the last page of https://www.janome.com/siteassets/su...anufacture.pdf you will find that the LLB and LLC were made 1951-1953;

Some pictures of similar machines can be seen at Crinkle finish and other ugly finish machine thread Unfortunately CD is no longer active here. Many of us miss him. He is knowledgeable, helpful and has a neat sense of humor. It looks like the other person that had another green machine only posted that one day.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.