Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Crinkle finish and other ugly finish machine thread >

Crinkle finish and other ugly finish machine thread

Crinkle finish and other ugly finish machine thread

Old 06-13-2013, 06:49 AM

I decided I am going to play also. BUT when I looked at my Excel sewing machine list I discovered I have 14, YIKES, crinkle finish machines. Now I have to go search my photos to find the pics. Be back later.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:13 AM

I have a Singer 66-18 crinkle but it's hiding now so it can't be photographed. It's in good shape. I had a Singer 306 but traded it away with $50 for a totally beautiful chocolate 306 from Holland. It has two interchangeable motors.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:39 AM

Caroline,

14 of 'em? I want to see them.

Cricket,
The Singer 66-18s might be a tad homely, but they sure sew nice. I got three of them as shown on page one and really don't want to part with them cos they do sew so nice.

Joe
Old 06-13-2013, 03:01 PM

I have a soft spot for the White Rotary (77 I think?) in the army green crinkle finish - I learned to sew on one of those and when I find a good/cheap one on CL someday I will buy a little trip down memory lane!
Old 06-13-2013, 04:14 PM

Ok, I uncovered my 1952 White Rotary crinkle finish . Took pics. Have manual and other parts too but never used only tested the machine when I got it from a friendNow can't find that little tree to add the pic to the post . This is the problem I usually have, but at least will keep trying.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:34 PM

I don't own a single crinkle/godzilla machine.
Sharon
Old 06-13-2013, 09:50 PM

Madcow, I like the decorations on that White on the Detroit craigslist. I thinik if i were in the area, I'd go for that one as my first crinkle. It could turn out pretty.
I enjoy seeing all of the different shapes and colors of them, and can't wait to see more. Keep them coming!
Old 06-14-2013, 01:21 AM
Power Poster

Have never seen one here in Aus. Maybe they never made it into the market? Anyway, I think they are really quite lovely....industrial chic?
Old 06-14-2013, 01:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
Have never seen one here in Aus. Maybe they never made it into the market? Anyway, I think they are really quite lovely....industrial chic?
I like the term industrial chic... they are rough to touch - some about like sandpaper and some about like a football. Dirt collects in the rough parts - I guess you could get enough dirt on them to make them smooth or take some sand paper and smooth them out a bit. (that ought to make a few people upset) My Singer 306 has the crinkle/Godzilla finish on the top but the base is relatively smooth. I don't mind that one at all - nice machine.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I have one for you. It was my MIL and I call it the locomotive. Sold by Monkey wards made by Eldredge
Glen, I have seen a lot of these for sale and because of the finish, I have passed on them. I have wondered about the locomotive machines though. They are so Art Deco, and yes they look like a streamliner train engine from that era. I have tried to picture it with a smooth finish repaint job on it. I think it would look cool. Navy Blue or Metalic Silver. Or maybe in the paint scheme of a Burlington Northern or Southern Pacific train.
I only had one crinkle machine. It was a Domestic. It sewed very well and was pretty forgiving and powerful too. All good attributes but I just didn't like the color or finish. This is a picture of mine. I gifted it to a friend and just this week he gifted it to his daughter who loves it.
~G~
[ATTACH=CONFIG]418870[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dr4.jpg