Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Eldredge Improved machine - crinkle finish >

Eldredge Improved machine - crinkle finish

Eldredge Improved machine - crinkle finish

Old 12-23-2015, 11:09 AM

Default Eldredge Improved machine - crinkle finish

I popped in to my local Goodwill last night and saw an Eldredge Improved machine for $9.99. It's a dark charcoal color with crackle finish, and the stitch length/forward/reverse switch is on the front of the machine. Machine looked to be in great shape, and the wheel turned freely. and moved the needle up and down. It's a round bobbin. I am not necessarily interested in buying it, but what strikes me is that I tried to identify it using Google searches and couldn't.

What kind of resources does everyone use to find information on the less mainstream machines like this?

Since I am learning to repair/restore myself, I am looking for a machine that I can autopsy without potentially ruining something worthwhile to me. Since this is not a brand I'll probably buy, I think learning on a machine like this won't be super helpful. It's probably in too good shape to do so anyway.

This is so much fun! Sidetone - I received replacement foot controller and cords for my 15-91. I'll be cleaning her up and swapping these parts, and then we'll see if the wheel will cooperate.
Thanks,
Maggie
Old 12-23-2015, 02:20 PM

Maggie,

My favorite site is the Needlebar Picture Library:

http://www.needlebar.org/

Eldredge is the main National brand name. Uses R221 bobbin and Eldredge Rotary needle or Boye 21. Well worth $10 if it has a bobbin case and you could probably get it running and sewing well. More would be learned in restoring to good working condition than performing an autopsy.

Jon

Last edited by jlhmnj; 12-23-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:39 PM

I agree with Jon. You're going to learn more making a machine run than you will just taking it apart. I've got a few Nationals now. They sort of grow on you. I don't think I could have passed it up at $10.
Rodney