Old 02-15-2018, 08:24 AM
tscweaves

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
Ah, so that's what you have been up to, Theresa! I wondered where you were Your ORL blocks are so pretty and coordinated. They are going to make a beautiful quilt.

A vintage sock machine! How cool is that? How does it work? Do you crank the handle to make the stitches? That looks like so many stitches, I guess you have to use pretty fine yarn? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just fascinated!
Yes, you set up what is called a cast-on bonnet and just crank away. As with quilting and weaving, there is another language to learn:-) Hey, that means I am finally bilingual, I can speak weaving, basic quilting, and csm. LOL I have never understood knitting yarn sizes, but so far I have knit with sock yarn and 2 strands of 2/9 wool. The learning curve has been an interesting combination of fun and frustration, but I keep going back for more. I have also been playing on my latest sewing machine which is a Singer 99 handcrank. These vintage machine are just fascinating to me. They were such an amazing breakthrough in technology for the time and had to ease that huge burden of handwork on the average family. Just think of the wonder to be able to crank out a pair of socks in an hour or so verses handknitting them. Too cool