Old 02-26-2018, 07:09 AM
Mousie
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
I would add: Practice when you have someone around who can help you! If you're old or have physical limitations don't get down to pin that quilt while you're alone, or at least not without a charged phone nearby.

Also, the point needs to be made that most of the people who get into these kinds of jams are not nearly as fit as the young woman in the video, and we all need to plan ahead for a time when we will be less mobile, if we're lucky enough to live that long. Have a phone on you and keep it charged, or wear an emergency call button. If you're alone, have a buddy system where you check on your friend at least daily.

My DH came within an inch of falling off a steep 2-story roof one time in his 60's when I was out of town. He got a notice from the satellite company we'd switched from that he was to return some equipment. I'd already got them to agree on the phone that we didn't put it up there and we weren't taking it down at our age, but DH didn't get the word about that, he just read the form letter and thinks he can do anything he could do in his 20's. My point is: know your limitations and consider possible dangers.

Get basic safety aids such as a stair rail on both sides of the stairs, grab bar by the tub or shower, salt or cat litter to sprinkle ahead of you if you must walk on wet or icy walks, good lighting where needed, removing interior thresholds and loose rugs, etc., and above all - for anyone of any age - clear a path from your bed to the bathroom and nearest exit in case you have to get up in the dark, whether just to go to the bathroom or to escape a fire. Consider whether the corner of your quilt may have slid down onto the floor right where you're walking. Sadly, our pets are a frequent tripping hazard also, so it's always necessary to be vigilant, especially in the dark.

Finally, I just can't resist pointing out that most older fall victims are not likely to be wearing chunky heels that would make a loud rap on a door, and who would respond to that unless it went on and on for hours? I live in house slippers most of the time when home. I could make about as much noise as a butterfly with those. Also, most of my younger neighbors are gone during the day, and no amount of noise would be likely to get attention from the few people who pass by, such as the mail carrier who pulls up to a curbside box for 2 seconds. We just really, really need to focus on prevention and a way to get help if we can't get up.
Rose, you sure do make some excellent points.
I am sooo glad your dh did not fall off that roof!
My dh is in late sixties now, and I still have to remind him he's not twenty!
He rides a motorcycle with oxygen.
He has good driving skills, but cars don't always see him .
He was wrecked in 2006. Thank the good Lord that although hurt, he was
only going 25 mph.
Your comments about bed clothing having slipped onto the floor is one that
happens to us a lot. We have night lights on for this clumsy mouse!
(DH will actually push covers off the bed. I've asked him not to do that.)
This has been a very needed thread for everyone. You never know when a
fall may be on your agenda!