Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How to get up from the floor after a fall..... >

How to get up from the floor after a fall.....

How to get up from the floor after a fall.....

Old 02-24-2018, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Thankfully, I have not had to try this but I'm told that even a cell phone that is fully charged but not connected to a service can be used to summon help. I find my current phone too "clunky" to keep with me at all times but my old flip phone is small enough to be acceptable in a pocket. I'm told that I'd have to be able to tell 911 my name and location. I think this was the way those mistreated children were finally able to get attention not long ago. Donated phones are sometimes passed along to women in potentially abusive situations so they have a way to get help. They don't have to have cell service but can still get help.
Yes, that's true. A relative is a 911 operator, and she says that they get a Lot of calls from little kids who have been given an old cellphone to play with. The parents don't realize that the phone can still call 911.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-25-2018 at 10:35 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 02-24-2018, 11:09 PM

Thank you for this post. I found it to be very helpful.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:07 AM

Thank you for that. Just last night I tripped over a folded rug. I caught myself.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

I have fallen twice in public with nothing nearby to use. Both times ppl came to
my rescue, and I was so grateful.
I rolled to a sitting up position, and two ppl, one on each side, hooked their hands
underneath my arms at the shoulders and were able to lift me.
Sometimes you need a person to face you, while putting their feet, against yours,
to keep you from sliding forward.
My dd has cerebral palsy and she said paramedics did this.
When I fall at home, although very difficult for me, I can sometimes do the "spider",
which is where you roll to face down, and use your arms and legs, spread out so push
against the floor, walking your feet and arms inward to raise your body until you are up.
Having fibromyalgia and not being a skinny-minnie, makes a fall a very difficult situation.
I saw things on the video that I cannot do, but I also gained some very useful information.
Thank you for this!
Old 02-25-2018, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

I watched this. you never know when you'll need it. keep it in the back of your mind.

Last night i took a tumble, i remember what the video showed. i wasn't hurt and got up quickly. thanks for posting this video.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Well that was interesting. My observation is that the fallen person needs a lot of strength in their core, arms and hips to get up from some of those positions. And the right objects to assist. Who has a sofa that has a pull out bed to lean on, or speakers that are not wired and right where we fall? I practice getting up without using my arms. It isn't always possible but I can do it a lot of the time. I suggest getting on the floor and figuring out how to get up, with whatever your body can do, and with whatever items you have handy, assuming no injuries from the fall. And practice this.
I was thinking that, Alyce. My MIL falls a lot (in rehab now from a cracked pelvis) and there is no way she has the strength to do most of those things. She uses a foot stool to help her.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Well that was interesting. My observation is that the fallen person needs a lot of strength in their core, arms and hips to get up from some of those positions. And the right objects to assist. Who has a sofa that has a pull out bed to lean on, or speakers that are not wired and right where we fall? I practice getting up without using my arms. It isn't always possible but I can do it a lot of the time. I suggest getting on the floor and figuring out how to get up, with whatever your body can do, and with whatever items you have handy, assuming no injuries from the fall. And practice this.
I would add: Practice when you have someone around who can help you! If you're old or have physical limitations don't get down to pin that quilt while you're alone, or at least not without a charged phone nearby.

Also, the point needs to be made that most of the people who get into these kinds of jams are not nearly as fit as the young woman in the video, and we all need to plan ahead for a time when we will be less mobile, if we're lucky enough to live that long. Have a phone on you and keep it charged, or wear an emergency call button. If you're alone, have a buddy system where you check on your friend at least daily.

My DH came within an inch of falling off a steep 2-story roof one time in his 60's when I was out of town. He got a notice from the satellite company we'd switched from that he was to return some equipment. I'd already got them to agree on the phone that we didn't put it up there and we weren't taking it down at our age, but DH didn't get the word about that, he just read the form letter and thinks he can do anything he could do in his 20's. My point is: know your limitations and consider possible dangers.

Get basic safety aids such as a stair rail on both sides of the stairs, grab bar by the tub or shower, salt or cat litter to sprinkle ahead of you if you must walk on wet or icy walks, good lighting where needed, removing interior thresholds and loose rugs, etc., and above all - for anyone of any age - clear a path from your bed to the bathroom and nearest exit in case you have to get up in the dark, whether just to go to the bathroom or to escape a fire. Consider whether the corner of your quilt may have slid down onto the floor right where you're walking. Sadly, our pets are a frequent tripping hazard also, so it's always necessary to be vigilant, especially in the dark.

Finally, I just can't resist pointing out that most older fall victims are not likely to be wearing chunky heels that would make a loud rap on a door, and who would respond to that unless it went on and on for hours? I live in house slippers most of the time when home. I could make about as much noise as a butterfly with those. Also, most of my younger neighbors are gone during the day, and no amount of noise would be likely to get attention from the few people who pass by, such as the mail carrier who pulls up to a curbside box for 2 seconds. We just really, really need to focus on prevention and a way to get help if we can't get up.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:56 AM

I have replied to question about the cart my dh used to lift me. It was a garden cart, two wheeler, from Rubbermaid. Any garden cart could be used, I think. All good advice here on using cell phones, etc., and good exercise programs. It is good to have a plan or two in mind before you fall.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
I would add: Practice when you have someone around who can help you! If you're old or have physical limitations don't get down to pin that quilt while you're alone, or at least not without a charged phone nearby.

Also, the point needs to be made that most of the people who get into these kinds of jams are not nearly as fit as the young woman in the video, and we all need to plan ahead for a time when we will be less mobile, if we're lucky enough to live that long. Have a phone on you and keep it charged, or wear an emergency call button. If you're alone, have a buddy system where you check on your friend at least daily.

My DH came within an inch of falling off a steep 2-story roof one time in his 60's when I was out of town. He got a notice from the satellite company we'd switched from that he was to return some equipment. I'd already got them to agree on the phone that we didn't put it up there and we weren't taking it down at our age, but DH didn't get the word about that, he just read the form letter and thinks he can do anything he could do in his 20's. My point is: know your limitations and consider possible dangers.

Get basic safety aids such as a stair rail on both sides of the stairs, grab bar by the tub or shower, salt or cat litter to sprinkle ahead of you if you must walk on wet or icy walks, good lighting where needed, removing interior thresholds and loose rugs, etc., and above all - for anyone of any age - clear a path from your bed to the bathroom and nearest exit in case you have to get up in the dark, whether just to go to the bathroom or to escape a fire. Consider whether the corner of your quilt may have slid down onto the floor right where you're walking. Sadly, our pets are a frequent tripping hazard also, so it's always necessary to be vigilant, especially in the dark.

Finally, I just can't resist pointing out that most older fall victims are not likely to be wearing chunky heels that would make a loud rap on a door, and who would respond to that unless it went on and on for hours? I live in house slippers most of the time when home. I could make about as much noise as a butterfly with those. Also, most of my younger neighbors are gone during the day, and no amount of noise would be likely to get attention from the few people who pass by, such as the mail carrier who pulls up to a curbside box for 2 seconds. We just really, really need to focus on prevention and a way to get help if we can't get up.
Rose, you sure do make some excellent points.
I am sooo glad your dh did not fall off that roof!
My dh is in late sixties now, and I still have to remind him he's not twenty!
He rides a motorcycle with oxygen.
He has good driving skills, but cars don't always see him .
He was wrecked in 2006. Thank the good Lord that although hurt, he was
only going 25 mph.
Your comments about bed clothing having slipped onto the floor is one that
happens to us a lot. We have night lights on for this clumsy mouse!
(DH will actually push covers off the bed. I've asked him not to do that.)
This has been a very needed thread for everyone. You never know when a
fall may be on your agenda!