View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 03:52 PM
mhollifiel

My Go Big is a lifesaver! Something I have done that helps me is to extend the edges of my die shape with a fine tipped black marker to the outer edges of the die. I just put a ruler on the cutting line and extend it with my permanent marker. That way I know when I have covered the cut lines adequately on all sides. This eliminates "lifting and peeking" checks which can cause shifting. I know at a glance if I have all edges covered.

I cut kits every month for our charity bee. There are 12-15 of us each month and we shoot for a top each every meeting. I need to be very efficient to do this. So I cut large strips and fan fold them. For example, I cut 7 1/2" WOF strips by hand to use the 6 1/2" HST die. That way I don't have to spend lots of time tweaking the mostly donated fabric to get it to work. I used to be wary of wasting any bit of fabric but the time saved is worth the little fabric that goes to waste. I know, I am the worst about saving every bit of fabric I can. But I am learning that I pay a high price for that especially now that I cut so much fabric and need to be quick. That price is time to do quilts to satisfy myself!