View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 12:34 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

I am with the others about stash building. My recommendation is to purchase fabric only for your next quilt and to "collect" fabrics only for specific quilts you want to make in the future (for me, a floral log cabin).

I agree with purchasing a cone of thread to save money. What I have found, though, is that cheap quality thread comes with hidden costs. The last quilt I made, I decided to save some money and use up some Coats & Clark's dual duty I had lying around. What I found is that it creates ***much*** more dust and lint in my machine than the Aurifil 50wt I usually use. This is harder on my expensive sewing machine (that I never want to have to replace). I think vintage machines can handle Coats & Clark type thread more easily, because that was pretty much all that was available years ago. The more modern machines are not as accessible for cleaning at home, and a single dealership cleaning for my machine would more than wipe out any savings I made on thread. So, my advice is to use a good quality thread even if it is more expensive. I save money on thread by stocking up during sales.

Last edited by Prism99; 03-06-2018 at 12:36 PM.