View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 06:50 PM
zozee

Graciegirl, you are in good company here. Each of us has our own insecurities, mostly stemming from our upbringing, I daresay, or from being criticized excessively by someone at some point in our lives. Or we were were encouraged in certain areas, but not in others. Or we compare ourselves to others who have had a lot more practice at the skill we're developing.

The best encouragement I can give you if you want a standard for yourself is to shoot for excellence, not perfection .I don't think perfection is achievable in anything here in this life. But excellence is. That's my belief. I do think everyone can do their best, and that today's best --with practice--will be better a year from now. If I know I've done my best work, I can rest. If something is bugging me, I can change it. Do I obsess as much as some folks? No. Do I obsess more than others? Probably. But this really isn't about holding up someone else's standard to my own. It's not a competition (unless you enter shows, then it is, and so you're submitting to judgment and hopefully welcome constructive criticism of even your best work).

That is a long-winded way of saying we're all in this together. Do your best, strive for excellence, and let go of perfectionistic tendencies. They will slow you down and probably not bring joy. Excellent results DO bring me joy.