Old 02-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Lisanne

Originally Posted by daisyboo9
yes there was a lot brutality in that movie, but I don't feel that it was exploitive the way some other movies are done. This one had to get across the reality of life in that part of the world, to be able to show how they were able to rise above it.
I don't think most films are exploitive. I've never quite understood that accusation.

But there are plenty of ways to show the misery of poverty in that part of the world. Maybe it's considered good filmmaking, but it made the film unwatchable for me.

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I have a friend who is from India. He says that happens everyday. He won't go back to live there even though he has family there. He says it's filthy except in the tourist parts, streets are full of beggers, the sick and children are sent to dig through garbage.
How unusual for him to be honest about it. I've known quite a few people from India, and they all minimize the problems and tell me what a wonderful country it is.

I grant you, most of the people I've known are well educated, from families that are financially at least middle class (as we think of middle class) and sometimes very well off. It kind of amazes me that overall, they are some of the most immaculate and courteous people I've ever met, yet when they show me photos of their homes in India, the walls are dirty...

Certainly India has many wonderful places and things about it in addition to the horrible parts.

I was invited once, long ago, to a friend's wedding in India. She also invited me to stay with her family there. I really wanted to go, to see her married, meet her family, and see something of the country, but I couldn't afford even the plane fare. I did wonder if it would have been hard to stay with them - like, what kind of bathroom facilities did they have?