View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 02:26 PM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
I recently bought one at an estate sale thinking that I would make knit clothing for my granddaughter, but still haven't figured out how to use it.
I also bought mine used, and it had no manual. I spent $16 dollars for a manual, spent three hours playing with it, learning to thread, etc. now I use it almost daily for all those
“Mom, can you fix this?” projects. I am about to make some stretch velvet baby items for a friend so it will get a workout. Mine sat for a while due to intimidation factors from all the horror stories I have heard in years past. I just decided one day I was not going to be cowed by a silly little machine. I will tell to that a pair of locking forceps or tweezers will be your best friend, and I also keep a very small crochet hook in with the serger tools for threading since I have dad’s stubby fingers. Go for it. Do not try to make something yet, just play to get the hang of it. I will tell you that taking serging stitches out is a pain, so experiment a bit before to begin an actual project. *Remember, you must in some way stop the stitches from coming apart at the end of seams. Some folks use fray check or other fabric or thread adhesives, I do not. I have been tying a knot in the end of the stitches. It seems to work fine although figuring out how to tie those threads together did take a little practice. Enjoy your new playmate, I sure do. (My serger is a ”Huskyloc” and has threading diagrams on the inside of the threading access door to follow.)

Last edited by madamekelly; 03-14-2018 at 02:30 PM.