View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 06:14 AM
Macybaby

way to go teen! Those tiny HST are something else . . .

I ended up canceling going to the class, since I woke up to ice on the windows and didn't want to chance the 80 mile drive. I told my husband I didn't want to go in the ditch and wreck my $$$$ new sewing machine. He said I should be worried about going in the ditch and wrecking my $$$$$ new car (bought end of December).

The bad part - the weather didn't get as bad as predicted, so I probably could have gone and been ok. The worst part is I'm still intimidated by the machine. I may have to watch some classes and get brave enough to mount a hoop and play around a bit. I've got lots and lots of thread and stablizer . . . just not brave enough.

Teen, for sewing Y seams, I sew the first seam all the way to the end. Then I finger press it to the side, and line up the second piece so the part where I want to end is lined up with that seam. I sew down to the seam and back tack. Then I carefully remove the end stitches on the first seam back to were the second seam meets it.

Then I carefully fold so that I can line up for the second seam. I let the fabric stay tucked in and so far I've never sewn it. Then I start at the inside edge (where the three seams meet) and back tack, and sew to the end. Then I take it to the iron and press.

I'm pretty sure it takes longer to write this out than it does to do one. Even the really small ones are easy. The main thing is to be careful lining up the first side do you get the piece down low enough so it will line up correctly when you do the second side. If you don't have it exact, you will find you need to sew the second side with the edge of the fabric not meeting exactly, but a bit more or less normally won't be a problem. Just keep the overlap the same for the length of the seam. Do not angle the second seam, or it won't lay flat.

If you are sewing in a corner block, you can cut it a bit larger to start, and then trim it after the block is done. That way if you get it in a bit off, you'll still have enough for the outer seam allowance.