View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 08:07 AM
Innov8R

I believe recycling is the solution to two problems 1) protecting our children and grandchildren's future ecosystem 2) providing an inexpensive alternative for quilting. I believe in rescuing things. I have a rescued dog that has brought be unspeakable joy. I have a wonderful rescued stash of sheets and other cotton fabrics to use for quilting. To me, what I rescue means much more to me than the latest line from some designer. I find that my work actually reflects more creativity using the rescued items and without the guilt of gobbling up all the goodies I can grab in this life. For anyone thinking of trying to recycle sheets, I advise reading labels. Sheets are labeled clearly with fiber content. 100% cotton and Egyptian cotton are real treasures. I skip percale that does not clearly list the fiber content and other heavy closely woven fabrics if they are not labeled. Someone mentioned bedskirts in this thread. I agree, many times I find beautiful cotton prints in bedskirts. I use the part that goes under the mattress to set up practice squares for FMQ and harvest the prints for my stash. Many of mine came to me unused and I only paid $1 each. For anyone practicing FMQ, I encourage you to try using recycled fabrics to make practice squares. Perhaps you will enjoy using recycled goods and learn something about recycling as you learn new techniques.