View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Tiffany

Originally Posted by Happy Travelin
I have found you do not need to have multiple tables to baste or pin your quilts. It helps if you can get to a long table, but not necessary. Just layer the quilt, placing the middle on the table and be sure to smooth all layers together as you go - thus the entire quilt "sandwich" is evenly put together and smoothed. If it's easier, put "sandwich" together on the floor, then gently lift to table. Baste or pin from the center out in all directions. Then gently slide the quilt one direction, ensure it's still smooth, and continue with the basting & pinning. Repeat this until it's all basted or pinned. I travel full-time in an rv and use this method whenever I'm not up to the achy body from floor basting & pinning. Hope this helps.
Considering the limited space I have in my quilt room, this seems an ideal solution. I do have one question. Has anyone tried this method and entered quilts into juried shows & if so, how did it work? Did the quilts win anything or did the judges mark down for the backing/sandwiching? I know most people on this Forum say they make their quilts for use (so do I) and they don't enter shows, but I enjoy the challenge of entering shows and trying to win ribbons. I'm just a tad worried that the backs will get a crease or something similar and am looking for reassurance on this.