View Single Post
Old 04-04-2018, 02:12 PM
Macybaby

I used Jane's idea of going whole instead of strips, and think this pattern also works very well to showcase fabric you don't want to cut up into little peices.

I'm going with the same basic size, 4.5 by 8.5 unfinished.

Started out cutting 4.5" wide strips from my fat quarters.

Then used the Tri Tools ruler to cut the angle. I have the template there to remind me which angle I need to cut. The other side says Light.

Once I have the leading angle cut, I rotate the strips and using a longer ruler, cut them off at 7.5" I end up with slightly shorter than 8.5", but that does not matter as long as they are all the same.

I could get two peices out of teh fat quarter, but if you are cutting longer strips and are worried about getting the angle off, you can use the Tri Tools ruler (it's a set of two, btw) and check that your angle is staying accurate.

I cut the lights the same way, only with the opposite angle.

Then I cut a 4.5" strip and used the Tri Recs ruler to cut my triangles. It's got the "dog ear" already cut off so you can cut your strips the same width as the others and still have it come out correct.

I sewed the triangle to the lights, and pressed to the triangle

Then I sewed on a row of darks, and press to the dark (away from the triangle).

This will allow me to nest the seams when I sew the strips together.

Here are my rows, ready to sew together. I'm going to call this "box of chocolates". This went together super fast too.