Old 02-15-2010, 12:41 PM
MistyMarie

I recently read a book called Sold which spoke about the conditions for girls in Napal being sold into prostitution and slavery. I think we cannot turn a blind eye to the conditions around the world. We, as a society (not including a small percentage of conscientious individuals), think little to nothing of wearing clothes made by child labor in other countries, or getting cheaply made goods from sweatshops in third-world countries. What we see of India on television and tourist books is vastly different from what this movie portrayed. Presenting reality might not be pleasant, but it does expose the poverty and depredation that many of us had no idea about. This reminds me of the book Three Cups of Tea where one man became enlightened to the lack of education in rural Pakistan and made a promise to help that has affected thousands of children's lives. This movie has shown light on the condition of many of India's children that hopefully has enlightened those who can make changes to help. If that movie has improved the lives of even a small percentage of children in India, then it was worth the effort. I do hope that the producers put back a large portion of the profits of the movie to help the children in that country.