View Single Post
Old 04-12-2008, 11:06 AM
patricej
Administrator

i'm afraid i must disagree wholeheartedly, dear QuiltNut.

What seems like skimping to some constitutes a major investment (that takes months to save for) to others. It's absolutely possible to get a nice machine that works well and has the most important features for under $300. In fact, very good, but basic, machines can be had for under $200 - even under $100 if you don't insist on a long list of special features. The only thing you can't get for less than a mortgage is a machine with a big enough throat for comfortable freemotion machine quilting.

I was so pleased by my Simplicity Quilter's Classic I bought a second one when they went on sale. I've had them for years and have had only one problem with each. Because they aren't completely computerized, I was able to fix them myself. Not having to drive 50 miles to spend $100 in a repair shop was just fine with me. I just gave the "spare" to a friend whose [allegedly superior brand] machine was giving her fits. she's brand new to sewing. I also have a Singer Ingenuity that i consider to have been a very good value for its price. It lacks a few of the features I value most in my SQC, but it has a wider selection of deco stitches, so it all balances out.

The only machine I've ever bought that I absolutely hate is a White. It gathers dust. I dislike it so thoroughly I hesitate to even donate it to a charity shop. (However, for all I know it's just the one unlucky lemon out of thousands of wonderful Whites that roll off the assembly line. I draw no conclusions about the whole brand because of it.)

If you have thousands to spend on a machine then, by all means, go for the fanciest shmanciest thing you can find. For myself, while I save up for the one that makes me drool, I have no regrets about buying the ones I've had over the years.