View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 10:31 PM
Feather3

Originally Posted by Barb2018 View Post
Hello all!
I'd like to try quilting with my embroidery machine. I've seen a few videos and it doesn't look too difficult once you get the details and settings sorted out, but what concerns me is that nobody shows what the back of the quilt looks like. I'd love to try some simple redwork or sashiko designs, but can anyone tell me what it will look like on the back? Also, can I use any type of batting or does it work better with pure cotton? Are there any books on the market that address this? Please, if you've done this would you chime in with your experiences? Thanks!!
I did embroidery on a queen size Lone Star quilt after it was sandwiched. Cotton fabric, poly batting. I used quilt feathers embroidery designs. If you are doing the embroidery after it has been sandwiched....mark your design centers on your quilt before you sandwich. I found it easiest to print the designs out, pin them in place, & then mark centers with a +. Then hoop all 3 layers, no stabilizer needed. The thickness of the fabrics & batting will be enough. Thread your bobbin for regular sewing & with the same thread as the top. This will make the back of the design look almost like the top. If possible chose designs with few or no jump stitches. The downside is keeping the weight of the quilt off the embroidery arm of the machine. I used my ironing board next to my machine to support most of it. Slow your machine down, so you have better control of the quilt while the arm is moving. Use scrap fabric & batting & do a few test runs first.

Others have posted how to do QAYG blocks or Applique'.