Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with embroidery machine >

Quilting with embroidery machine

Quilting with embroidery machine

Old 04-27-2018, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955 View Post
I don't FM so only use my emb machine to quilt. I've done up to Queen. I sone times do overall or just in each block. Use busy backing and won't notice any issues with knotting. Match you bobbin thread to color on back so it blends in. I buy all my designs thru emblibrary.com
This is basically how I use my embroidery machine to quilt. Embroidery library has a great video showing how to do it. My friend bought her embroidery machine specifically to do quilting. Since then she has discovered the saying most of us have, "If it stands still, embroidery it".
Old 04-27-2018, 05:40 AM

I have a Husqvarna Viking Topaz 20. While I have tried some FMQ, and will use SID if it fits the design, I am more comfortable using embroidery function on my machine. There are MANY embroidery patterns available for E2E and all block sizes designed specifically for quilting. I have quilted many sizes up to a queen size quilt on my embroidery/sewing machine. I set up on my kitchen table to support the weight of the quilt. I sandwich and spray baste my quilt. I have grid templates for my hoops that help my center or align the design. I use thread in the bobbin that matches the quilt back. This has been the best of both worlds for me, as I started off doing QAYG, sandwiching and quilting each block, and then sewing the quilted blocks together. This is very difficult to do well. Front looks great, back not so nice. Looks a little better if you sash each block. Using the kitchen table to support the quilt has made it possible for me to machine quilt queen size quilts. While I wouldn't say it is easy, it is definitely doable. You can also use your embroidery machine to applique. I made a Baltimore album quilt using applique embroidery patterns that came out beautifully even though it was only my 3rd or 4th quilt. The backs of the quilts look great (IMHO). You do have to trim the jump stitch threads, but that is not difficult or a problem. Go for it!

Last edited by TAMARATJO; 04-27-2018 at 05:43 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:05 AM

You've gotten such good advice here. For me, single color, more of an outline design, sometimes called redwork (can be any color) works the best. You center the area you want to quilt. The next step is to hoop or tape or pin your quilt to the embroidery frame. Next do the embroidery, making sure you support the quilt so that the embroidery frame can move freely and pulling up the thread from the bottom as you start the embroidery. I start from the center out. If you start on one side, everything will shift no matter what you do. If you want some more elaborate embroidery, then perhaps you want to think about adding the full backing after you have finished all the embroidery and do a stitch in the ditch to anchor the backing to the completed front.

Practice the design(s) at least once so you can see any problems that might develop. I look forward to seeing your end results. fyi....my friend uses her embroidery machine for baby quilts all the time. She does little teddy bear outlines, stars, horses..just whatever theme she wants with her piecing. It looks good.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:03 AM

Nancy Zieman did at least 2 shows on PBS about that. Here is a link:
https://wpt.org/SewingWithNancy/Video

and here are more videos:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...oidery+machine

There is a lot of great advice here.
Like the others here said, there are several ways to do this.
when I did it, I also embroidered the blocks before incorporating them into a quilt...QAYG style. I put the backs on after I embroidered the blocks. That way, the back didn't matter.

Hobbykat, yours looks fabulous. Mine didn't look that good. I must try, try again.

Patrice, yours also looks way better than mine!

Last edited by mindless; 04-28-2018 at 09:07 AM.