View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 05:40 AM
TAMARATJO

I have a Husqvarna Viking Topaz 20. While I have tried some FMQ, and will use SID if it fits the design, I am more comfortable using embroidery function on my machine. There are MANY embroidery patterns available for E2E and all block sizes designed specifically for quilting. I have quilted many sizes up to a queen size quilt on my embroidery/sewing machine. I set up on my kitchen table to support the weight of the quilt. I sandwich and spray baste my quilt. I have grid templates for my hoops that help my center or align the design. I use thread in the bobbin that matches the quilt back. This has been the best of both worlds for me, as I started off doing QAYG, sandwiching and quilting each block, and then sewing the quilted blocks together. This is very difficult to do well. Front looks great, back not so nice. Looks a little better if you sash each block. Using the kitchen table to support the quilt has made it possible for me to machine quilt queen size quilts. While I wouldn't say it is easy, it is definitely doable. You can also use your embroidery machine to applique. I made a Baltimore album quilt using applique embroidery patterns that came out beautifully even though it was only my 3rd or 4th quilt. The backs of the quilts look great (IMHO). You do have to trim the jump stitch threads, but that is not difficult or a problem. Go for it!

Last edited by TAMARATJO; 04-27-2018 at 05:43 AM.