View Single Post
Old 04-30-2018, 09:04 AM
Macybaby

donna- those are looking good!

I used the templates to get the finished measure, then added my seam allowance to get my cutting measure. I think doing it that way, my cuts and sewing matched up. I have had problems if I use the templates like pattern pieces, maybe I normally cut a bit wider than 1/4" on how I line up my rulers and don't do that when I use a template. Who knows, but normally my sewing and cutting work together well.

Anael - sounds like you have quilt police over there too - even if they are not quilters! I know that my Grandmothers adopted use of sewing machines as soon as they could, and have no doubt that if they had been around and affordable earlier in history, we'd see less hand stitched quilts. there was a time when all sewing was done by hand, and no one says "your not a real dressmaker" because you don't draft your own pattern and sew it by hand.

In reading the history of sewing machines, I find it interesting that while some thought it would put a lot of sewests out of business because one person could now make what 10 did before, that did not happen.

When clothing prices came down and more were available, people bought more. I read about people having only a few outfits, and maybe one Sunday garment for the entire year. My house was built in 1875, without closets. The original homesteaders to this area would not have needed areas just to put clothing in. We don't have the history like Europe has, and I bet large closets weren't the norm for the average person there either.

And when you start looking back, it's fun to read about laundry day and other things were took up major amounts of time and effort that we do with machines now. There was a time when you needed at least one adult just to take care of clothing (making and cleaning), cooking and preserving food.