Old 05-10-2018, 09:42 PM
Jeanette Frantz

Many years ago, I was advised by an orthopedic physician not to sit in one place (or anything else) for long periods of time -- at least once an hour I needed to get up from my desk and walk a little (cervical spine problems). Of course, my then boss told me, yes, I could get up, walk around my desk and then right back, sit down and go to work -- sort of the behavior of a jerk(?). Sitting or standing in the same position for long periods of time is bad for your spine, whether the cervical spine, thoracic spine or lumbar spine. This becomes even more of a problem in our later years -- you don't need to ask why -- I've had spinal problems for many years, and, in fact, was forced to retire about three years ago, after working as a legal assistant/legal secretary for the same attorney for 30+ years, who, by the way, is not the employer who made that horrible suggestion about getting up, walking around my desk and going back to work. I was 5'2" high, but we all lose some height as we age. My ironing board is very much adjustable, and right now sits at 34" at the top.