View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 03:01 PM
Dakota Rose

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
No, actually I have sold twice in my home, once in Austin TX and once here in VA. Both times I advertised with a local guild and asked members to make appointments and only come no more than 3 people at a time so that I could serve them properly. Cash only accepted. I treated the sale like a quilt shop and cut yardage as requested. There were also some fat quarters available. I charged only $3 per yard for most fabrics, $.75 for fat quarters. Believe it or not, I made over $1000 dollars both times, holding the sale for about 5 days each time.

When this kind of sale is open to actual quilters, I believe you will be more successful. The people I drew were unknown to me but were, to a person, kind, friendly, and considerate. I was not at all afraid to have them in my home. They often bought more than they had originally decided on while they waited for their friends to finish up having theirs cut and paying, LOL! And they went home and told their friends about the sale!

I had some of my own quilts lying about to encourage chatting and the feeling of comradery. Those were not for sale, though I did end up with a commission from showing them.

Am thinking very seriously about doing another one in a few months and have already selected out the fabrics I'm willing to part with.

Jan in VA
Thanks, Jan. I have been putting mine in plastic bags with the yardage written on the outside. Thought I would also add the price on the tag. Mostly mine is 2 yds or less. Thanks for your input.