View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 05:50 PM
SillySusan

Originally Posted by NoraB
I need to adjust my moratorium to include anything quilt-related! In the past month, I've fallen off the fabric moratorium (but I'm back on the wagon). I've now fallen into the gadgets, notions and "things to make things better" category. I went to a quilt show and purchased the Martelli machine binding system (yesterday), I ordered in-line the TrueSharp2 power rotary blade sharpener and the back-brace thingie from Nancy's Notions. I have spent not only my 2017 Christmas money, but also my anticipated 2018 Christmas money!

I do many charity quilts and they want machine binding. I've been so dissatisfied with how my machine binding looks after I've spent so much time and effort piecing and quilting......so I have been frustrated with my binding. I have looked around and am impressed with the Martelli system. So.....I will make it work and it will be better than I can do...but it appears to be time-consuming and tedious. But, it's worth it to me if they come out better.

The rotary cutter sharpener is to save my sanity and my meager attempt to make those blades last longer by continuing to cut when they are dull. If I can get a little more use out of them, this will be worth it to me.

Lastly, I need to be constantly reminded (by myself) to sit up straight, shoulders back, suck in stomach, etc. So.....I've been looking at that back brace thing for years. It's on its way and I'll will wear it.....

So, now that I've put all the justifications....I still feel pretty bad about all this spending. But, that's it for the year......no additional fabric.....no additional notions.......and I'm focusing on the spirit of gratitude for all I have by sewing up a storm!

Thanks for letting me confess......hopefully I'm not the only one who's over-spent a bit!
I joined the Moratorium late, sometime in Feb., and I can't remember if tools, notions, or items other than fabric was mentioned, so you won't be reported to FA (Fabric Anon.)

I don't understand why the charities that are receiving your quilts want machine bindings. I tried to do them in order to save time, but they were bad. I just couldn't get them to look even near nice. Those people are even sillier than I am!