Thread: QAYG Borders
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 11:49 AM
mindless

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
Yes I do this a lot. I don't like the look of narrow sashing either so almost never use it. I would cut 2 borders (top and bottom) pin them to the edge of the quilt body right sides facing (top border to top of quilt, bottom border to bottom of quilt). Find or know the 1/4 inch mark on you walking foot stitch the seam along the edge. (pinning is a must, I am not much of a pinner but here it is a must and lots of them). When finished flip them to correct position. Do a quick press so the seams don't "roll" back any and are cleanly placed. put a strip of batting in butting up to or slightly overlapping the seam edge, smooth fabric back over it making sure no fabric is out of place (the new outer edge of the fabric should line up) secure your 3 layers however you like (spray basting, basting, pins) and quilt. Repeat for the other borders. This method is called qayg stitch and flip.
I wish I had done it this way. Instead, I cut borders for the front and back, sandwiched and quilted them, then added them to the quilt body...top & bottom first, then sides, then corner blocks. Quilting was a lot easier, but adding them to the quilt was trickier.