Old 06-08-2018, 02:50 PM
PamelaOry

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I think my FW would be the last machine I would choose for making bags. It is a tough, stout little machine but with a .4 amp motor on such a small machine it just doesn't have the power you need. Some of the bags I make have thick seams that my powerful vintage Japanese machines sometimes have trouble with.

Cari
Thank you Cari, this is very helpful. I’m leaning more and more toward saving for a Juki.

Originally Posted by glassbird View Post
I am in exactly the same boat...big combo Brother machine, and the desire to take classes. My combo machine is great at thick seams, but it is a heavy critter, and even with a rolling tote it is a bit much to haul around. I set out to find a smaller one made by the same manufacturer, in the belief that they would be somewhat similar to operate, but even more importantly will share feet.

Two days ago I found a smaller Brother machine on Craig'sList. Using an electrical inverter, I was able to test the general function of the machine in the parking lot where the seller and I met up. But I have been too busy since then to test the feet theory. Keeping my fingers crossed. Also hoping it handles thick seams! But I paid very little for it, so it won't be a great loss if not.

So, my suggestion is to find a smaller version of what you already have.....
thanks Glassbird, I tried the very inexpensive brother from Costco, it didn’t handle the thick seams but FYI, the feet were interchangeable with my big brother. Congrats on your find!