Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How well do featherweight machines handle layers? >

How well do featherweight machines handle layers?

How well do featherweight machines handle layers?

Old 06-09-2018, 07:46 AM

My mother used her Featherweight to sew leather mittens...she used a heavy duty needle.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:39 AM
mac

I think that if you are in the market for a machine to sew through layers of thick fabric, I would look for a used industrial machine. You can come by them at flea markets, Ebay, and sometimes even garage sales. If you don't plan to make that many bags, I would suggest getting an old sewing machine like a Viking, Bernina, and even an old Singer. These machines have metal gears and if the foot piece can lift high enough and you use a leather or Denim needle (preferably a leather one) then you have a chance sew through lots of thickness. My old Viking could do this easily. The only problem was that the foot wouldn't lift high enough when you had to sew through a double seam.

However, I would not, under any circumstances use a Featherweight machine. Yes, they are true workhorses, but if you burn out the motor, you are looking at least $200 to buy a new Chinese motor to replace it.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:44 AM

Another draw-back for SOME of the vintage models (including FW's) is that the presser foot lift is not usually sufficient to fit bulky straps under so its best to check how high the lift will go when looking for vintage machines, especially.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:18 AM

My vintage Elna will sew through anything you can get under the presser foot which can be manually raised quite high. My Singer 301 came with 4 layers of mid weight leather under the presser foot, but I'd not ask her to do that. My daughter did while playing with it so I know it has the capability, but that's not what I purchased that one for. If you want vintage for purses, wouldn't you want a zigzag machine? The FW and 301 are both straight stitch only.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
My vintage Elna will sew through anything you can get under the presser foot which can be manually raised quite high. My Singer 301 came with 4 layers of mid weight leather under the presser foot, but I'd not ask her to do that. My daughter did while playing with it so I know it has the capability, but that's not what I purchased that one for. If you want vintage for purses, wouldn't you want a zigzag machine? The FW and 301 are both straight stitch only.
The patterns I’ve done so far don’t have a zigzag but that’s a good point.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:21 PM

Here's a blurb about using a "Seam Jack" or a "Jeans Jack," When you're sewing heavy seams. http://shesasewingmachinemechanic.bl...re-sewing.html You can make your own with chipboard or plastic lid material.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
Here's a blurb about using a "Seam Jack" or a "Jeans Jack," When you're sewing heavy seams. http://shesasewingmachinemechanic.bl...re-sewing.html You can make your own with chipboard or plastic lid material.
Also called a seam jumper. Years ago they were sold as a hump jumper.

Cari
Old 06-09-2018, 07:36 PM

I used my Bernina for anything thick. If I can get it under the foot, it will sew thru it. I only use my featherweight for piecing and basics stuff. I'm not sure I'd try anything too thick with it.

The hump jumper is indispensable for me. I hem jeans for my husband a lot and even the Bernina bogs down a bit when it comes to the flat felled side seams. Hump jumper works great.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:07 AM
mac

Cashs_mom, how do you use the hump jumper thingy? I've had one for years and I still can't figure out how it works.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:48 AM

I use my Bernina for heavy things. I do have a featherweight which is great for piecing or basic sewing.