Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How well do featherweight machines handle layers? >
  • How well do featherweight machines handle layers?

• How well do featherweight machines handle layers?

Old 06-08-2018, 08:45 AM

Default How well do featherweight machines handle layers?

I only currently have one machine and it’s a big embroidery machine combo. I love it but there are two things it’s not good at; thick layers and traveling.im looking at getting a second machine that i can take to classes and use on thick seems (I like to make bags) how do featherweights do with thick layers? Any recommendations for machines that would fit the bill?
    Old 06-08-2018, 09:29 AM
    Banned

I think my FW would be the last machine I would choose for making bags. It is a tough, stout little machine but with a .4 amp motor on such a small machine it just doesn't have the power you need. Some of the bags I make have thick seams that my powerful vintage Japanese machines sometimes have trouble with.

Cari
    Old 06-08-2018, 02:29 PM

I am in exactly the same boat...big combo Brother machine, and the desire to take classes. My combo machine is great at thick seams, but it is a heavy critter, and even with a rolling tote it is a bit much to haul around. I set out to find a smaller one made by the same manufacturer, in the belief that they would be somewhat similar to operate, but even more importantly will share feet.

Two days ago I found a smaller Brother machine on Craig'sList. Using an electrical inverter, I was able to test the general function of the machine in the parking lot where the seller and I met up. But I have been too busy since then to test the feet theory. Keeping my fingers crossed. Also hoping it handles thick seams! But I paid very little for it, so it won't be a great loss if not.

So, my suggestion is to find a smaller version of what you already have.....
    Old 06-08-2018, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly
    I think my FW would be the last machine I would choose for making bags. It is a tough, stout little machine but with a .4 amp motor on such a small machine it just doesn't have the power you need. Some of the bags I make have thick seams that my powerful vintage Japanese machines sometimes have trouble with.

Cari
    Thank you Cari, this is very helpful. I’m leaning more and more toward saving for a Juki.

Originally Posted by glassbird
    I am in exactly the same boat...big combo Brother machine, and the desire to take classes. My combo machine is great at thick seams, but it is a heavy critter, and even with a rolling tote it is a bit much to haul around. I set out to find a smaller one made by the same manufacturer, in the belief that they would be somewhat similar to operate, but even more importantly will share feet.

Two days ago I found a smaller Brother machine on Craig'sList. Using an electrical inverter, I was able to test the general function of the machine in the parking lot where the seller and I met up. But I have been too busy since then to test the feet theory. Keeping my fingers crossed. Also hoping it handles thick seams! But I paid very little for it, so it won't be a great loss if not.

So, my suggestion is to find a smaller version of what you already have.....
    thanks Glassbird, I tried the very inexpensive brother from Costco, it didn’t handle the thick seams but FYI, the feet were interchangeable with my big brother. Congrats on your find!
    Old 06-08-2018, 05:05 PM

I have a babylock that is supposed to accept thick seams-using the foot with the little black button on the side---- sometimes it works, sometimes NOT! And if I'm doing piecing, I have to remove the piecing foot and fiddle with the 1/4" seam - my old Viking takes whatever I give it, no prob...and my long gone singer touch N sew would sew over a railroad tie if I asked it to. I really think these new machine are way too touchy......or maybe it's just the brand I have,,,,thinking of replacing.........
    Old 06-08-2018, 05:13 PM

I have done 4 thicknesses but not more. Mine piece beautifully but I don't use them for totes or purses or great thicknesses because I have Janomes that do those so well I don't even attempt.
    Old 06-08-2018, 07:24 PM

My older Pfaff would sew over any thickness I had. I used to make purses, heavy totes of decorator fabric and denium and it never hesitated. Love that machine
    Old 06-09-2018, 03:40 AM

Look fr one of the older smaller Janome machines. I have one that must be over 20 years old called "Harmony" that was made for Sears back then. It's a little work horse. Also own the Janome 1600P and MC6500P.
    Old 06-09-2018, 05:30 AM

My featherweight never complained about hemming blue jeans. That machine does have power.
    Old 06-09-2018, 05:33 AM

I think you are on the right track looking for a vintage machine that is all metal no plastic. But I don't think the featherweight is the one for the thick seams. Yes, it will probably do it. But it won't like it. At least mine wouldn't.