View Single Post
Old 06-30-2018, 05:06 AM
JakesMama

Default One block wonder quilts

Good morning. I looked at the hexie quilt photos (so pretty!) but it did not look like there were any One Block Wonder quilts there. So my questions are
- is there a page for one block wonder quilts?
- can anyone who has made one or more of these quilts give me some tips before I begin assembly? Please note that I am adding solid triangles between hex blocks. I bought 2 separate 5 yard pieces (about a week apart) of the same fabric to make blocks. With the length of the pattern repeat that should have allowed me to get 3 full sets of strips. I need 190 blocks for this quilt.

The second 5 yard piece apparently came from a different bolt, as it was 1/2” narrower WOF. Because this is a digital print, the manufacturer simply adjusted the print to fit the slightly narrower fabric. The result is that I cannot combine layers of fabric from the two cuts - they simply do not line up, no matter how I try adjusting position, etc. because one is just a wee bit smaller overall. Rather than spend another $60 on fabric, I decided to go with two ombré fabrics in the varying shades of the background on the original fabric, for only $30.

I now have 132 blocks cut, most of which are stitched into halves. The ombré will serve as filler. Not what I wanted to do, but I have a LOT of money tied up in this quilt so far. The first two fabrics I got just were not giving me the results I wanted, so that was 8 yards I couldn’t use. Note that until very recently I had to get all my fabric on line; the nearest quilt shop was 65 miles from me and mainly carries very old-fashioned fabrics (nice, but not my thing). Buying fabric on-line can be like rolling dice. Sometimes you come up snake eyes.

Having said all that, my final question is has anyone else run into a similar problem with digital print fabrics?