Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One block wonder quilts >

One block wonder quilts

One block wonder quilts

Old 06-30-2018, 05:06 AM

Default One block wonder quilts

Good morning. I looked at the hexie quilt photos (so pretty!) but it did not look like there were any One Block Wonder quilts there. So my questions are
- is there a page for one block wonder quilts?
- can anyone who has made one or more of these quilts give me some tips before I begin assembly? Please note that I am adding solid triangles between hex blocks. I bought 2 separate 5 yard pieces (about a week apart) of the same fabric to make blocks. With the length of the pattern repeat that should have allowed me to get 3 full sets of strips. I need 190 blocks for this quilt.

The second 5 yard piece apparently came from a different bolt, as it was 1/2” narrower WOF. Because this is a digital print, the manufacturer simply adjusted the print to fit the slightly narrower fabric. The result is that I cannot combine layers of fabric from the two cuts - they simply do not line up, no matter how I try adjusting position, etc. because one is just a wee bit smaller overall. Rather than spend another $60 on fabric, I decided to go with two ombré fabrics in the varying shades of the background on the original fabric, for only $30.

I now have 132 blocks cut, most of which are stitched into halves. The ombré will serve as filler. Not what I wanted to do, but I have a LOT of money tied up in this quilt so far. The first two fabrics I got just were not giving me the results I wanted, so that was 8 yards I couldn’t use. Note that until very recently I had to get all my fabric on line; the nearest quilt shop was 65 miles from me and mainly carries very old-fashioned fabrics (nice, but not my thing). Buying fabric on-line can be like rolling dice. Sometimes you come up snake eyes.

Having said all that, my final question is has anyone else run into a similar problem with digital print fabrics?
Old 06-30-2018, 05:24 AM

I just found the one block wonder photos - OMG! So that question is answered. The turquoise one sings to me....
Old 06-30-2018, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

I haven't bought that many digital prints, but it does make sense that they wouldn't work well for a OBW if printed on various sizes of greige goods.

If go to the pictures section of the board, the first and only sticky is for the quilt gallery. It takes you to a page that has a "click here" and that takes you to page after page of quilt galleries. There are actually two galleries for OBW's.

Here is the first - https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums16953.html
and here is the second - https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums18127.html