View Single Post
Old 07-07-2018, 04:44 PM
Barb in Louisiana

I had one fabric that I used in a quilt, fray like that. I realized early on that I had a problem. My solution was to sew my 1/4 inch seam, then sew a wavy seam inside that seam. I found that sewing a straight seam again let it continue to fray. The wavy seam held the fabric in place better. Did I really worry about ironing all my pieces perfectly? Nope. I felt I was lucky just to keep it together. FYI....I normally use a 2.2 stitch but backed it down to a 2.0 to help stop the fraying. I did have to recut a couple of pieces of fabric due to the fraying before I realized that I had such a big problem. I have Fray Stop but didn't want to take the time to put that on every raw edge.

Edited to add: Since I was double sewing a lot of the seams, I just finger pressed all the seams instead of my normal pressing with the iron. There was extra bulk but by the time I finished long arming it, no one could tell there ever was a problem. It has been washed a lot of times and has seams that have ripped. I did use a pantograph that didn't leave very much open space so there would be strain on any of my seams. It was a learning curve.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 07-07-2018 at 04:49 PM.