Thread: Pre-testing
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 08:20 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Default Pre-testing

When I finally decide to do something, i want to "get on with it" -

But "haste has made a lot of waste" - so pre-testing can save a lot of time and minimize disappointment and/or aggravation in the long run.

Some things that can/should be "tested" or checked before proceeding:

Are the fabrics color-fast - I soak and wash everything before cutting them - but i still have had some surprises!

Measure the length and width of your fabric piece before starting so that you know what you have to work with. I have learned to not assume fabric width - also look to see if the ends are wonky

What is the fabric made of? I've come across some beautiful fabrics that I thought were all cotton - until I either did a burn test or it smelled "funny" when I put a hot iron on it.

Make a test block with the fabrics that will be used - or at the very least, the three strip "verification" for "finished size" - fabric thickness, thread thickness, change of machines, different rulers - all sorts of things can affect the finished size. It's easier to modify earlier than later. Not all patterns or instructions are accurate, either.

Marking instruments - will that mark come off the fabric? or in the case of a liquid, will it come out of the fabric? Mark some scrap - get it wet - iron it - erase it - see what happens. I am not a fan of anything that I consider to be "liquid" - I have also learned that it is better to use as light/fine a line as possible rather than a big, dark, wide line.

Marking instruments - or - in the case of a label that you hope will be permanent - will that ink stay or will it fade away? or will it bleed? I had a blue pigma pen that bled like crazy when the quilt was washed. It has also faded a lot.

The above are my experiences and opinions. I know others do things differently.

Are there any things that you regularly check for before proceeding?