Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pre-testing >

Pre-testing

Pre-testing

Old 07-19-2018, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

Default Pre-testing

When I finally decide to do something, i want to "get on with it" -

But "haste has made a lot of waste" - so pre-testing can save a lot of time and minimize disappointment and/or aggravation in the long run.

Some things that can/should be "tested" or checked before proceeding:

Are the fabrics color-fast - I soak and wash everything before cutting them - but i still have had some surprises!

Measure the length and width of your fabric piece before starting so that you know what you have to work with. I have learned to not assume fabric width - also look to see if the ends are wonky

What is the fabric made of? I've come across some beautiful fabrics that I thought were all cotton - until I either did a burn test or it smelled "funny" when I put a hot iron on it.

Make a test block with the fabrics that will be used - or at the very least, the three strip "verification" for "finished size" - fabric thickness, thread thickness, change of machines, different rulers - all sorts of things can affect the finished size. It's easier to modify earlier than later. Not all patterns or instructions are accurate, either.

Marking instruments - will that mark come off the fabric? or in the case of a liquid, will it come out of the fabric? Mark some scrap - get it wet - iron it - erase it - see what happens. I am not a fan of anything that I consider to be "liquid" - I have also learned that it is better to use as light/fine a line as possible rather than a big, dark, wide line.

Marking instruments - or - in the case of a label that you hope will be permanent - will that ink stay or will it fade away? or will it bleed? I had a blue pigma pen that bled like crazy when the quilt was washed. It has also faded a lot.

The above are my experiences and opinions. I know others do things differently.

Are there any things that you regularly check for before proceeding?
Old 07-19-2018, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

When starting on a new block pattern, I make a test block to see if I like it and if I need to change anything. I make all my test blocks on one dominate colour (green right now) and combine them in a Sampler top when I have enough.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:32 PM

Good idea, Tartan. I usually make a test block but never thought to keep them! Thanks!
Old 07-19-2018, 04:34 PM

​I make my test blocks into placemats. None match but work for me. LOL
Old 07-19-2018, 04:37 PM

The only thing I check is red fabric. Nine times out of 10 red will run.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post
The only thing I check is red fabric. Nine times out of 10 red will run.
I've had at least one bleed of every color -
Old 07-19-2018, 08:05 PM

I now always check to make sure the garbage cans aren't behind me when I back out of my driveway. I've run over a couple of them....
Old 07-19-2018, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I now always check to make sure the garbage cans aren't behind me when I back out of my driveway. I've run over a couple of them....
Oh crikey...me too!!!!!!
Old 07-20-2018, 03:30 AM

For every particular project I have a page in a notebook where I write down things like: foot used, stitch length, stitch plate, needle position, needle type and size, thread color and manufacturer. Also, how I got my seam the size it is....seam guide, guide on stitch plate or one of those guides that have various holes for seam allowances. Almost like ingredients in a recipe. Then, if I switch out projects I can come back later and know exactly what I need to get the same size block.
When I have everything set up I check it again. Nothing more annoying than to get everything set up and then find out your foot pedal isn't plugged in...
Old 07-21-2018, 04:52 AM

The only thing I do is make a copy of the pattern so I can write on it. When I’m finished with the quilt, if there are really important things to remember, I will write it on the pattern front. I never pre-wash, make a sample etc. I’m always a ‘jump right in girl.’ I do read how much fabric I need and often convert it to what I’m using like charm squares or a jelly roll. I don’t care for the sizes, most seem in the 56” x 67” size, so I have to look at the pattern to see if adding an extra row or two will work, quite often, it won’t.