Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pre-testing >

Pre-testing

Pre-testing

Old 07-21-2018, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

I test my fabric for bleeding but that's about all. I start cutting and sewing. I make sure I have more fabric then the pattern lists. If I mess up a block or piece, I toss it in the scrap bin and make another. I don't fret or feel guilty about it. Some of my quilt buddies will pick out seams and redo when I'm already on the third block after tossing the bad one. LOL
Old 07-21-2018, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

I did not say that I always do the pre-trip list!

- but - I have done all those "glitches" at least once!
Old 07-21-2018, 07:39 AM

Unhappy

I am a jump right in person, too. I do prewash, but that's about it. Sometimes it doesn't work so well. I started cutting for my Irish Chain without figuring out how much background I needed. Now I'm going to have two different fabrics - good thing it's for me. The first one from stash is not available anywhere according to Google.
Fabric smell? I purchased a small piece from Hobby Lobby to get the color I needed for a prayer quilt. 100% cotton. After washing, it was stiff and smelled terrible when pressed.
Machines - I switch back and forth on two machines in the same quilt. IMO, 1/4" is a 1/4".
I've used some 36" fabric lately - that's a blast from the past.
So, I guess you could say I don't follow the rules - people who know me would say that's no surprise!
What will I do - look to make sure the homeowner didn't leave the mailbox door down before I back up to park the car to check out a garage sale for fabric. I have a small dent in pretty little SUV.

Last edited by Irishrose2; 07-21-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:41 AM

Make sure the pattern is right. I started a quilt from a quilting magazine that was cats centered in a block and the size of the block was printed wrong so the head and back end of the cat hung off the block. Thank goodness I was able to buy more of the fabric I needed for new blocks. Now I make sample blocks first. I have found mistakes in other patterns after that but my fabric was not wasted.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:48 AM

I always pre-wash (due to asthma) and I test for colorfastness before I cut the first strip. As has been previously posted, every color of fabric can be a bleeder, and I just won't take that chance. Almost everything I make is given away so I want to be certain it's not going to be a laundry "nightmare" and bleed all over the place.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:48 PM

Having made my first flimsy I realized that If I washed it I could perhaps square it up more before proceeding. Well it was red and cream and Wow I had a lot of bleeding. The worst offender was one of my most expensive fabrics. So just yesterday I was setting up to work on another quilt and I found a green version of one of my bleeders so I threw it in the sink but it did not bleed.
This quilt (just referred to) was put away last year as I ran out of fabric in the right colour. I have just realized that my block may not work, I don't have a pattern. I have seam allowances for 2 internal seams but not the other two. So I have just decided to make a sample block and Tartan I think you have a terrific idea about your test blocks. Thank you.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

Definitely a prewasher here but one time a batik FQ got put into stash without prewashing by accident and it bled in the quilt. Thankfully not a whole lot. I try to keep my unwashed fabric in a special bin but I must have pulled this one to see if it would work color wise from my unwashed bin and forgot and left it with the rest of the fabrics for the quilt. I scrutinize a pattern before I make my first cut, usually to see if I prefer making the unit a different way than the pattern writer says to do it (which tends to be often) but also to make sure I understand each step to make the finished block. I won't start the pattern until I clearly understand each step. I can tell by sizes given if the block will actually measure to what they say but I still only cut enough for one to make sure it fits together the way it should. I got burned once on a pattern that did not give correct cutting sizes, it was for sashing units and border units. Had way too many sashing units and the border strip was not long enough so I had to sew in a filler piece. Thankfully had enough fabric. It was the first and last quilt I ever cut everything first before starting to sew. I tend to break those steps up a bit.

Marking tools are always tested to the best of my ability. I tell my clients I mark using a water soluble marker or chalk and the quilt will need to be washed to get all the marks out. I spritz them out as I go, but only a thorough soaking will remove all the ink of the water soluble, even if it no longer shows on the quilt top the ink is often diluted and absorbed into the batting. Chalk usually brushes out. I test the water soluble in the seam allowance on client quilts. On my own, I tend to be less cautious and will use Crayola washable markers without testing if I have used the color before. They have always come out for me but if it is a color I have not tried before, I will test. Love the Crayola ultra washable markers but you can't spritz those out as you go like you can with the blue water soluble.
If the quilt is a gift, I usually hand embroider the label as I too have had micron pigma pens fade even after heat setting. Others have lasted fine so you never know. Embroidered labels won't fade to the point of barely being able to read them.

New tools or techniques, like a new type of ruler I always test and experiment with scraps. Mostly to familiarize myself with using the tool. It is sometimes a year or more between seeing the demo and buying the ruler before I actually use it. Sometimes the test unit will be used in something other times it ages in a bin to maybe get used or eventually tossed. I like Tartan's idea of doing them in a color scheme to use in a someday sampler. I am kinda/sorta doing that now with flannel test blocks. They are destined to be a back. Finally testing some of my specialty rulers. I also like Granny Cheechee's idea of using test blocks for placemats.