View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 06:45 PM
aylatrigger

Default To repair, or buy?

Hello! Long time reader, first time poster.

I'm currently trying to determine if I should repair some of my machines, or purchase a new shiny model.

Background: I am an avid sewist and do apparel sewing, quilting, and embroidery. My current machines, the majority of which I have inherited from one place or another (I seem to have a knack for acquiring others' old machines!), and their current condition, are as follows:
Viking Designer II - What I have used as my "daily driver" the last several years. My mother-in-law gave it to me because she was tired of getting it repaired and has upgraded. The thread cutter doesn't work, the bobbin-thread-low alarm doesn't work, but it's otherwise been a great machine. It started jamming and I didn't know why so I switched machines. It's likely something small/easy to repair or just needs more personal troubleshooting.
Pfaff Creative 7570 - I got this from my OB last time I was pregnant - we struck up a conversation about sewing and she gifted me some of her machines that have sat in her attic for years. It required some decent repairs when I got it given its idle years, but it works fine now. I have the embroidery unit for it as well but have not used it. I think the technology barriers & limited hoop size would keep me from using it regularly anyway. I recently have been using it but find I miss many of the computerised functions the Viking gave me.
Bernina 2500 DCET serger: Also from my OB, and a fine and wonderful machine. No improvements needed on this one.
Brother PE770: I got this a year and a half ago. I wasn't sure if I would enjoy embroidery so I didn't want to spend too much money, but I have definitely gotten use out of it in spades. It's a decent machine, I definitely appreciate that it stitches 5x7. I got it jammed up bad a couple times ago though (my own fault, I was in a rush to leave and left out unattended) and I feel like it isn't as smooth since then. It still works, and I may be imagining it, but I think I need to take it in for someone to look at. Related: my friend is interested in purchasing this one from me.

So I'm on the hunt for something new, perhaps. I want an upgrade to my embroidery machine. I am not sure whether I should get a new sewing machine or not.

1) Are there any downsides to getting a combined embroidery/sewing machine? Would I be best off looking for one great machine that does both, or keeping specialized machines?

2) My budget is around $2-3k. Any suggestions on what to look at? My current plan is to go to the local shops and try different machines out. Open to suggestions though.

I am mostly self-taught, so there's a lot I don't know. Please pardon if any of my questions are very silly!

Thank you for any help, guidance, and suggestions in advance!