Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To repair, or buy? >

To repair, or buy?

To repair, or buy?

Old 07-22-2018, 06:45 PM

Default To repair, or buy?

Hello! Long time reader, first time poster.

I'm currently trying to determine if I should repair some of my machines, or purchase a new shiny model.

Background: I am an avid sewist and do apparel sewing, quilting, and embroidery. My current machines, the majority of which I have inherited from one place or another (I seem to have a knack for acquiring others' old machines!), and their current condition, are as follows:
Viking Designer II - What I have used as my "daily driver" the last several years. My mother-in-law gave it to me because she was tired of getting it repaired and has upgraded. The thread cutter doesn't work, the bobbin-thread-low alarm doesn't work, but it's otherwise been a great machine. It started jamming and I didn't know why so I switched machines. It's likely something small/easy to repair or just needs more personal troubleshooting.
Pfaff Creative 7570 - I got this from my OB last time I was pregnant - we struck up a conversation about sewing and she gifted me some of her machines that have sat in her attic for years. It required some decent repairs when I got it given its idle years, but it works fine now. I have the embroidery unit for it as well but have not used it. I think the technology barriers & limited hoop size would keep me from using it regularly anyway. I recently have been using it but find I miss many of the computerised functions the Viking gave me.
Bernina 2500 DCET serger: Also from my OB, and a fine and wonderful machine. No improvements needed on this one.
Brother PE770: I got this a year and a half ago. I wasn't sure if I would enjoy embroidery so I didn't want to spend too much money, but I have definitely gotten use out of it in spades. It's a decent machine, I definitely appreciate that it stitches 5x7. I got it jammed up bad a couple times ago though (my own fault, I was in a rush to leave and left out unattended) and I feel like it isn't as smooth since then. It still works, and I may be imagining it, but I think I need to take it in for someone to look at. Related: my friend is interested in purchasing this one from me.

So I'm on the hunt for something new, perhaps. I want an upgrade to my embroidery machine. I am not sure whether I should get a new sewing machine or not.

1) Are there any downsides to getting a combined embroidery/sewing machine? Would I be best off looking for one great machine that does both, or keeping specialized machines?

2) My budget is around $2-3k. Any suggestions on what to look at? My current plan is to go to the local shops and try different machines out. Open to suggestions though.

I am mostly self-taught, so there's a lot I don't know. Please pardon if any of my questions are very silly!

Thank you for any help, guidance, and suggestions in advance!
Old 07-22-2018, 07:04 PM

You're going to get about as many opinions on machines as there are people offering them. LOL. Everyone has their favorite brands for various reasons, so the best machine is the one that you feel most "at home" using. I think much of what makes a machine preferable is simply how intuitive it is to operate.

Personally, Janome and I are best friends. I had a DC 2010 when I first started quilting, keeping the price down till I found out if this would be a hobby I'd stick with. Upgraded a couple years ago to a Janome 8200 and love it. It's got the 11" throat, thread cutter, more stitches than I'll ever use (although I've dabbled with most of them for fun). It is easy to program for making labels with stitches and lettering. It's quiet and powerful. Feet are easy to change. Never given me issues. I do have it serviced every year.

I've never tried machine embroidery, so I can't speak from experience. All I've heard it that most people advise having separate machines for sewing and embroidery.

My friend had a Viking and it was in the repair shop a lot. She finally said enough was enough.

My repairman said that once the computerized machines start to give you trouble, it's near the end of its life. Not worth repairing if it's it the motherboard. They have (according to him) about a 10 year lifespan.

I would have the embroidery machine serviced and then either keep or sell it. I don't like to sell things to friends or family in case something goes wrong. Just would rather give stuff away or sell to strangers/trade up.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:13 AM
Power Poster

Since the Viking costs more than your budget and is a great machine which probably just needs a good cleaning and tune up I would definitely just take it in for service ( hoping there is a reputable Viking shop near you- we have a Brenina shop near us and the service tech did great with my Viking- he has fixed many machines for me- Viking, Singer, janome, and Handiquilter)your Viking should last a life time. If you love it as your ( work horse- mine is 15 years old now, used daily) I would put the money into it.
Machines have become so expensive and to me it doesn’t make sense to not just pay for upkeep.
If you really want other Bells & Whistles that’s a decision only you can make- maybe you could use one or two of your machines as trade ins to get the price of a new one down to fit your budget. I’ve traded in for upgrades in the past.

Last edited by ckcowl; 07-23-2018 at 02:17 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:55 AM

Your going to get a lot of opinions.....let me add mine. I've had a Home dec business for 30 years. The best machine I've ever had and still use is my Designer II. It is a work horse. But I recognize that it is coming to the end of its life and purchased a Janome 9400 (WHICH I LOVE!!!!) and a Singer 16 straight stitch for the heavy commercial work I do. I would take the Viking in for a tune Up and see what they say. You can still get parts for it. If its not worth it trade it in and upgrade. I would think about investing in a separate machine for the embroidery. If your a avid sewer do you really want to be waiting for your embroidery to be done before you can sew?
Old 07-23-2018, 03:30 AM

I had a Viking with the bells and whistles, bought new and used it for several years, the last year with troubles. The feed dogs were very sluggish, so I called the repair shops and no one would touch it. They said it would cost way more to fix than to buy a new one. I couldn't even give it to them for parts. Never again would I buy a computerized one. I went back to a mechanical heavy duty Singer and never looked back. Obviously, I'm not doing fancy show quality quilts, but I do a fairly good job and love it!

My suggestion to you is to avoid Vikings!
Old 07-23-2018, 08:14 AM

I love my combo brother dreamweaver have yet to see a downside to a combo. I have only used brother embroidery so don't have any other brand suggestions.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:16 PM

I will not suggest any one machine over another as sewing machines are such a personal choice. One thing I would say is to buy one with as large of harp space as possible within your budget. I love the machine I have but it only has a 6 12" harp space & is difficult to maneuver a larger than lap size quilt under the harp. Oh, and also, the needle up/down feature is a real delight to have. You have a nice, healthy budget & should be able to find something you really like & meets your needs. I would suggest "test driving" as many different machines (models & brands) as possible & don't be in a rush or feel pressured from sales people to buy on the spot that day.
Happy hunting!
Old 07-23-2018, 12:57 PM

I agree with the test driving. You will find a brand that "feels" right to you. Check out and see if the dealership has layaway and special financing. For my Janome I put it in layaway until the manufacturer offered 0 interest for 5 years...…..You can always pay it off early. I also, would bring in a list of wants and needs. Needs are the items that you have to have……..for me a large harp space...……..wants are the extras that you "may" use occasionally. Good Luck.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:50 PM

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful advice! I'm going to a local shop this weekend to do some test runs. I will get my embroidery machine looked at for sure.

It sounds like the two main reasons to get separate embroidery/sewing machines are 1) to be able to sew while the other machine embroiders, and 2) so you can use one while the other is in the shop. Is there any aspect I'm missing?
Old 07-24-2018, 02:52 AM

Yep.…..I sew every day. I would loose my mind if I had nothing to sew on while my machine was in the shop. Depending upon the machine, age and what has to be done the repair time can stretch into months. Another thought for you is to look into a floor model or newer trade-in.