View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 07:04 PM
zozee

You're going to get about as many opinions on machines as there are people offering them. LOL. Everyone has their favorite brands for various reasons, so the best machine is the one that you feel most "at home" using. I think much of what makes a machine preferable is simply how intuitive it is to operate.

Personally, Janome and I are best friends. I had a DC 2010 when I first started quilting, keeping the price down till I found out if this would be a hobby I'd stick with. Upgraded a couple years ago to a Janome 8200 and love it. It's got the 11" throat, thread cutter, more stitches than I'll ever use (although I've dabbled with most of them for fun). It is easy to program for making labels with stitches and lettering. It's quiet and powerful. Feet are easy to change. Never given me issues. I do have it serviced every year.

I've never tried machine embroidery, so I can't speak from experience. All I've heard it that most people advise having separate machines for sewing and embroidery.

My friend had a Viking and it was in the repair shop a lot. She finally said enough was enough.

My repairman said that once the computerized machines start to give you trouble, it's near the end of its life. Not worth repairing if it's it the motherboard. They have (according to him) about a 10 year lifespan.

I would have the embroidery machine serviced and then either keep or sell it. I don't like to sell things to friends or family in case something goes wrong. Just would rather give stuff away or sell to strangers/trade up.