Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I buy a new sewing or repair the old one? >

Should I buy a new sewing or repair the old one?

Should I buy a new sewing or repair the old one?

Old 04-13-2013, 04:47 PM

Wink Should I buy a new sewing or repair the old one?

I like my 20 year old Viking,but it has started to cause problems at times. I debate whether to have it serviced by the dealer in my area or buy a new basic machine. Many are advertised for 300 dollars of even less. All I want is an automatic needle threader. I want something that will go over heavier fabric. My Viking balks at that. All it may need is a tension adjustment. I have all the attachments such as a walking foot and darning foot and many others.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:58 PM

I would at least take your old Viking in for an estimate. The old machines are so much better than a lower end new one..
Old 04-13-2013, 05:24 PM

I had a older Viking. I ended up buying a new one. Oh, and of course the old feet don't fit as they have since changed the angle of the pole (can't think of the name) that holds the feet.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:47 PM

I would have it looked at by your dealer - they can give you an estimate. Then you can decide if you want to purchase a new machine.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by GrannyFitz4 View Post
I like my 20 year old Viking,but it has started to cause problems at times. I debate whether to have it serviced by the dealer in my area or buy a new basic machine. Many are advertised for 300 dollars of even less. All I want is an automatic needle threader. I want something that will go over heavier fabric. My Viking balks at that. All it may need is a tension adjustment. I have all the attachments such as a walking foot and darning foot and many others.
New cheap ones will not go over thick seams easily. They will go over with much difficulty
Old 04-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

I like the features the new machine have. I do have some old machines, I find I don't use them much.
If you can afford a newer one with no plastic parts, Then I would do it.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:01 PM

What is your budget? Can you go higher than $300 for a machine?? Your attachments may not work on the newer machines. You should check that out.
Sandy
Old 04-13-2013, 06:27 PM

I'd go for the repair first. I have an "old" Viking that is about 50 years old. I got a new one 8 years ago that I really love. It's sorta middle to upper middle on the line. I intended on getting rid of the old one, but just can't part with it and it still sews great! So who knows, maybe a repair is all you need to be happy? If the repair doesn't do it you'll at least have something to sew on until you find the perfect new one. Personally I'd go with a Brother if all your feet won't fit the new one anyway. They just seem to have better quality on their lower end. I'm so sad that Viking changed their manufacturing and with it their quality, they made such great machines for so long. It's just not the same.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:30 PM
QM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
I would at least take your old Viking in for an estimate. The old machines are so much better than a lower end new one..
I am in total agreement. also, It is sometimes possible to get a threader added to an older machine. With all the bells and whistles on my NEW Janome, my beloved old Viking (now with my son, who loves it) only lacked 3 things to my thinking: thread cutter, needle threader and deep throat. I made everything from 5 tents to hundreds of costumes before I became a quilter.

Last edited by QM; 04-13-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

I would have the older machine looked at. At least an estimate before I decided. You will probably not be satisified with a new lower end machine.