Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I buy a new sewing or repair the old one? >

Should I buy a new sewing or repair the old one?

Should I buy a new sewing or repair the old one?

Old 04-14-2013, 08:05 AM

I have a twenty year old Viking... and just the thought of having to purchase all of the speciality feet again.. would make me seriously evaluate the cost of repair vs. a comparable new machine. When was the last time you had it in for service.. Lint built up can cause some of the issues you describe.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:46 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by GrannyFitz4 View Post
I like my 20 year old Viking,but it has started to cause problems at times. I debate whether to have it serviced by the dealer in my area or buy a new basic machine. Many are advertised for 300 dollars of even less. All I want is an automatic needle threader. I want something that will go over heavier fabric. My Viking balks at that. All it may need is a tension adjustment. I have all the attachments such as a walking foot and darning foot and many others.
If I may throw in my 2 cents, I don't have any high dollar machines other than my Sweet 16 but I have a "new" Singer which is adequate but which I only expect to last a few years with hard use. I threw away a Brother embroidery machine that was about 3 years old because of how much it was going to take to repair it (also a "new" machine). I inherited an old Singer 66 which I love, and I recently bought 2 Featherweights which I also love. So there is a good chance you might hate a new machine and be happier with your old one once fixed. Just a thought, you have to make up your own mind of course. Whatever you think will make you happiest I would do. Life is short.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

For me it would be most important as to wether I liked my machine enough to want to keep it and spend $ on it. Like a car, you really can only repair it so many times before the cost becomes more than the worth of the item. Do some research.
peace
Old 04-14-2013, 02:36 PM

You would not believe how many of the needle threaders don't work after not too long a time. I wouldn't buy a machine based on that one feature.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:46 AM

I would have the old one repaired as long as it is not too expensive. Then, I would keep my eye out for a used higher end machine with all the features you want including the ability to sew through heavy fabric. Getting your old one fixed may allow you to wait and save to buy something you will be totally happy with. I also wouldn't get rid of the old machine after buying a new one. Everyone needs at least one backup machine
Old 04-15-2013, 10:00 AM

I have an older Viking machine, it is from the 70's in the 6000 series. That series has a flaw in the internal cam that cracks. Mine cost $250 to repair but is like new again. I wouldn't trade it for anything - and it has a low gear that will sew over anything. Of course I have other machines but this one is designated for my hubby to sew his muzzleloader reinactor gear (lots of canvas). I certaintly suggest at least getting an estimate on fixing your Viking before you buy a new machine, I think you would be disapointed going to a lower-end model. 20 years old - a 90's machine - might have a computer board issue and that might be more to fix. I'd suggest a reputable Viking dealer with maybe a tech that works with older machines. Some shops might tell you it's not fixable just to get you to buy a new machine.