View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 06:31 PM
bkay

I don't remember any independent fabric stores, except the Singer Store. They sold fabric there, but for some reason we never shopped there. In the same shopping center, there was a Penny's, A Morris Store (that might have been a local chain), and a W.T. Grant store. They all sold fabric, but I generally shopped at Penny's. They had a good selection of fabric, reasonable prices and all the major brands of patterns, McCalls, Simplicity, Butterick and Vogue if I remember correctly.

I, too, babysat for 50 cents per hour for money to spend on fabric. Then, when I was about 14, I got a summer job babysitting with the neighbor's kids. I cleaned the house, watched the kids and made their lunch. All they ever wanted was Macaroni and cheese. I think they paid me $30.00 a week. I had lots of money that summer. I was rich!

I learned to sew by making doll clothes when I still played with dolls. My mother had a black Singer 15-91 that I learned to sew on. (I have that machine still.) I made a good percentage of my clothes in both jr. high and high school.

That was a long time ago. Lots of things changed. Now all I sew are quilts and make a few repairs.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 07-26-2018 at 06:45 PM.