Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Independent stores in past decades >

Independent stores in past decades

Independent stores in past decades

Old 07-26-2018, 11:10 AM

Default Independent stores in past decades

I remember back in the 70s and 80s there were many more fabric stores compared to now - I remember two different stores within a half a mile of each other and at least two fabric stores at the mall that I went to - but the stores that I am remembering were chain stores. Were there a lot of independent fabric or quilting stores back then (or earlier)?

I'd be interested in what people remember about fabric stores back in the olden days. Please post your memories!
Old 07-26-2018, 11:28 AM

I don't remember going to independent stores (although I'm sure we did) but I remember shopping for thread and fabric at Sky City with my mother when I was young. I remember helping her dig thru bins looking for the colors she was after. She sewed on a late 70s Kenmore in a cabinet that had the cams for different stitches and this large complicated looking thingie for sewing buttonholes.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

I remember when big department stores like Penny's and Wards had large fabric departments, patterns, thread, etc.. That's where my mother and I shopped for fabric for clothing.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:15 PM

I remember going to an independent fabric store in Scranton, Pa(Scranton Fabric Center) in the early ‘60s. They had loads of everything, including wool. Great store. Then we’d go across the street to “The Golden Arches” for lunch. Wonderful memories!
Old 07-26-2018, 12:28 PM

Our little town had a “dry goods” store. We would order a pattern from a book, they did not have them on hand. I think it arrived in a week. The fabric selection was limited but I guess it was adequate. Once in a Blue Moon we went to “the city” and shopped Penney’s fabric dept. Mom and Grandma seldom bought their dresses, they were homemade, as most of my clothes.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:19 PM

I remember two stores from the late 60's early 70's. Each was less than a mile from my house in opposite directions. One was definitely a LQS that had bolts and bolts of beautiful fabric, none of which I could afford, but it didn't cost to look. The other place was, I think, Minnesota Fabrics. Not quite sure of my memory! They were an anchor store in a mall, and I bought all my fabrics, notions and patterns from them in high school and beyond. There was also a place called Federated that I remember going to with my mom (late 50's) where she bought everything to make most of our clothes.

Last edited by Anniedeb; 07-26-2018 at 01:20 PM. Reason: can't spell!!
Old 07-26-2018, 02:11 PM

Hancock Fabrics in Tupelo, MS was the only fabric store I remember. It was huge and had two levels. What I remember most is crying when you entered the store from the sizing in the fabrics. It made eyes burn. And that they didn't have a telephone. Which later made perfect sense, after all when someone wanted to know if they had a certain fabric, how on earth could they ever find it.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:24 PM

I remember MN fabrics (before they became Hancocks). Always loved going there. I also remember there was a local fabric store, about 25% quilting and the rest clothing type fabric. I wasn't into quilting then, but remember the quilting fabric was usually some of the more expensive stuff in the store -like over $5 a yard. I remember thinking it was way too rich for my blood.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:34 PM

I learned to sew by buying calico prints at the Franklin 5 and dime, for 39 cents per yard in 1966. When i got skilled, I bought fabric at JC pennys who had a small fabric department. When Fabric World came to Lynchburg VA (as big as a Grocery chain, like half of a walmart) I though I died and went to heaven. I would babysit every Fri and Sat night at 50 cents per hour so I would have enough fabric to make a dress or skirt. My family had moved from NJ where I wore uniforms to school and now I had to wear street clothes to my new school and Mom and Dad had no money for any clothes. I learned to sew real fast from a neighbor for my first 3 dresses and then I was on my own because she did not like the pins that fell in her deep carpeting. I never saw a real cozy fabric store like we are use to.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

I remember shopping for fabric at Woolworth’s, aka the five and dime.