Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Independent stores in past decades >

Independent stores in past decades

Independent stores in past decades

Old 07-27-2018, 02:45 AM

I remember the fabric store being for fabric for garments. Patterns were affordable and we could make our clothes cheaper than buy them. Quilts were made from the scraps. May have purchased something large enough for a back but that seems iffy, too. The idea of buying yardage to make a quilt would have seemed extravagant. Well, maybe it still is if we consider that a quilt is intended for warmth and a person can buy a blanket a lot cheaper! We are no longer a frugal generation. Those of us raised post-war knew what it was like to make do with what we had and didn't throw away much. I remember my eyes burning at one independent fabric store and thought it was amazing the amount of fabric there. Do you remember that gizmo that some shops had?--attached to the countertop and the fabric was pulled through it to determine how much there was, it clipped the edge and then the fabric was torn. The one I remember was at JC Penny, back when that store was for the everyday consumer.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:50 AM

I didn't sew when I was younger and no one in my family did . I started a little sewing in my twenties I liked it.
But working and raising my son , and didn't have the money. Well now I'm making up for lost time . I do remember JC Penny seeing fabric in there.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:36 AM

In the 1950’s-1960’s, I bought good cotton for my dresses at J.J. Newberry’s and Ben Franklin. Bought it 3 yards for $1.00. Later we had a great fabric store where I bought polyester for dresses and pants. No chains, just independently owned.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:37 AM

We had Fabricland. Mill End Fabrics. Calico Corners. Two Sisters. My friend worked at Calico Corners but I didn’t quilt then! She also took me to see a long arm in action. I was so bored. Wish I could go back!!!! Joann’s used to be called something different??? We had The Merc, Penney’s, The Bazaar that all sold patterns and fabric. The Merc had that funny little machine that you rolled the fabric through to measure and then ripped it! You also carried bolt up to check out, they cut it and checked you out. Same line for cut and pay and even if you were buying shirt or shoes! One line did it all!!! Now you stand in one line to cut and another line to pay. (Joann’s). One of my LQS has their last day this Saturday. They had a fire and lost the building, which was also their home. Rebuilding the home but insurance won’t cover the shop any more. They decided to retire and spend time with the grandkids. Heartbreaking!
Old 07-27-2018, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

I don't remember any quilt shops until the late 80's. There were fabric stores and department stores that sold fabric that was mostly for clothes sewing. Most home sewers then didn't want all cotton for making clothes as it would be wrinkly when washed and dried. What cotton fabric I remember was calico fabric and muslin.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

When I started sewing in the 70's there was a long established store in my area called Fisher's. It was there for decades and only closed a few years ago. Then I started shopping at Joann when I moved. It was a lot nicer than it is now. Either that or I wasn't as knowledgeable as I am now about fabrics. Also a chain (I think) called Mila. Then I started quilting and hit the quilt shops. Now I buy almost all my fabric online.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:55 AM

We had a dime store in my large town called Milam's. The back section was Fabrics, patterns, and notions. At the first threat of snow we'd head to Milams to get projects to sew just in case schools were closed. Being from middle Georgia just getting an inch of snow would bring our town to a standstill!

Thanks for the walk down memory lane!
Old 07-27-2018, 05:57 AM

I'm 61 and starting sewing in 4-H when I was 9 so that would have been the 60s! We had always lived in one town - Roseville CA. We had a House of Fabrics and my Mom thought they were too expensive. They enlarged in the early 90s and then went out of business. In the basement of our JCPenney's , they carried fabric and notions. A bit later Hancock's came into play and then Hart's Fabric. Except for Penney's which no longer sells fabric, the others are out of business. Joann's started small and now they have a pretty good sized store.

So for us, there were no independent fabric stores. It is kind of sad to see the changes and closers but I guess change is here to stay!
Old 07-27-2018, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

I just remembered another- So-Fro
Old 07-27-2018, 06:56 AM

I grew up in a very rural area; the only store ( general ) we had did have a very limited fabric selection. I remember Mom ordering fabric from the catalogs...Sears, Montgomery Ward and Aldens; My Mom made all my school clothes and scraps were saved for quilts. I still have a Sunbonnet girl quilt she made in mid 50's. All the dresses were made with my dress fabrics...