Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Independent stores in past decades >

Independent stores in past decades

Independent stores in past decades

Old 07-27-2018, 07:04 AM

I am enjoying this thread. I remember my mom sewing only when we were very small. I guess with 5 kids and working she was too busy to sew. We all got hand-me-downs. Recently however I found at a sale, a 1/2 bolt of gold 200 thread cotton fabric from Sears. I absolutely love the color, and was trying to research how old it was because only vaguely remembered the department stores selling fabric. This thread jogs my memory a bit, and I enjoy hearing everyone else's memories. I started a quilt with this gold fabric a couple of years ago and still haven't finished it. I will try to attach it. It may turn out sideways...
Attached Thumbnails img_1801.jpg  
Old 07-27-2018, 07:04 AM

I still have my mom's Kenmore with the cams! 'Back in the day' you could not only go to the small fabric stores, but you also had fabric sold in Woolworths and Newburys (these were west coast, I'm sure there were the same or similar regional stores). Then they stopped the fabric and small fabric shops opened (biggest were Hancocks, Cloth World and similar). There are still fabric shops available, but most are either specialty stores (Mood Fabrics) or small shops in fabric districts in the large cities. Because most folks could buy clothing for much less than it cost to purchase fabric from the specialty shops, sewing started to decline (apparel clothing - quilters always quilt!). Then the large companies (such as Joanns) who are able to import vast amounts of fabric at reasonable prices, were able to start buying out the other fabric shops. With the massive explosion of online fabric companies and the improved computer pictures of fabric, you will probably not see more fabric shops open. It is simply a matter of the costs. People can not spend $15 + for fabric anymore.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
I still have my mom's Kenmore with the cams!

my mom still has hers! she does 90% of her quilting by hand now and some of her piecing by hand too but she still has her Kenmore! My sweet MIL still has and uses her Kenmore too, hers is slightly newer or maybe just a fancier but it doesn't use cams. Those 70s-80s Kenmores are bulletproof lol.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:50 AM

I grew up in SW FL and cannot remember where we used to shop for fabric. I remember the measuring meter though and was fascinated while watching the clerk measure out our purchases. Several years ago we stopped at an old building out in the middle of nowhere for a yard sale. The old building was being sold and had at one time been a ladies store. Bins of buttons, zippers, the measuring meter attached to a long cutting table and three sided positional mirrors outside dressing rooms for the ready to wear clothing. Lots of wooden paneling on the walls and shelves/drawers for lingerie items. Like a walk down memory lane and such an enjoyable visit.
I also owned an old Kenmore with the cams for the decorative stitches. It was in a cabinet where the big top lifted as one piece and dropped down the back of the unit. Wish I still had it. Made a lot of clothing on that machine.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:33 AM

In our little town, we had an independent fabric store that sold all kinds of fabric. I didn't quilt then, but did sew a lot of my own clothes, including all my prom dresses. I spent a lot of pleasurable after-school time in there picking out chiffon, sequins, feather boas, satin, velvet, lace, for several years of formal dresses. My formals were always one-of-a-kind, you can be sure. I know they had quilting goods there, too, as I used calicos and prints for some of my dresses. This was in the mid 60s. And yes, the formaldehyde smell was overpowering. I think when the two elderly ladies who ran it passed away, it closed down.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:32 AM

Years ago I bought clothing fabric for my DDs at “Sprouse-Reitz”. I am not sure if it was a chain store or what. I also used to buy fabric from “Payless Drug Stores” before it became “Payless Shoe Source”.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:56 PM

Growing up on Long Island we went to malls all the time. We had a Singer Sewing Center there which is where I learned to sew at the age of 12. They had a respectable fabric selection and machines. I also bought fabric in McCrory's (sort of like a Woolworth's.) Still have the first dress project I made in that class and the fabric is right on trend-1970!
Old 07-27-2018, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I remember when big department stores like Penny's and Wards had large fabric departments, patterns, thread, etc.. That's where my mother and I shopped for fabric for clothing.
Penney's had a great fabric department, I was really sorry when they took them out.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I just remembered another- So-Fro
So Fro was my favorite fabric store.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:18 PM

I grew up in W. MI & did work at a small indi shop in Breton mall. Later I worked at Fields Fabrics. They are still around & have expanded in the last 20 yrs. You can get it all there; bridal, drapery, upholstery, clothing & quilting. When I go back to MI to visit I always stop in to at least 1 of their shops. They will also be at the AQS show in Aug.