View Single Post
Old 07-30-2018, 04:02 PM
JanieH

I have been every year except one (trip to Alaska) for the last 30 years. The first year I went the GRB (short for George R. Brown Convention Center) was much smaller. The vendors and hanging quilts only used about 2/3 of the first floor (classes were on floors above as they are today). The other third was a different convention - a gun show! My husband dropped me off and when I was finished, I called him from one of the pay phones located at the rear of the hall.

Things have definitely changed! But it is still so much fun to go and see the quilts and all the vendors. I have had fabulous teachers and learned so much. My friend and I like to get there early before class starts and sit around the tables on the upper floors and visit with people from all over the world.

Across the street is Discovery Green, a beautiful park. If the weather cooperates, it is a great place to go with your lunch and take a rest from all the noise and bustle of the show.

Remember, they will not make personal announcements if you get separated from your group so always plan a meeting place and time. It is not so bad now since most everyone has cell phones. The only time they will make announcements for people is in case of a medical emergency. And yes, you do have to watch out for the people on the electric scooters - most are very nice but there are always some that are quite rude. I try to be considerate of them as I know it must be frustrating not to be able to get in and out of many of the booths and to try to move down very crowded aisles

Hope you have lots of fun!