Thread: Types of Starch
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2018, 10:49 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

I used to avoid spray starch because it would flake on me unless I waited awhile for it to sink into the fabric, and it would sometimes scorch the fabric (scorched starch washes out of the fabric later, but even so.....) when my iron was too hot. Finally I found a spray starch I like. It never flakes on me, scorches, or gunks up my iron. I don't know if it's available in Canada, but the name of it is Faultless Premium Professional Starch (about $4 a can). This is the most expensive starch in the Faultless line; it was the cheaper Faultless spray starches that I didn't like. Once I found this brand, I decided it was worth an extra dollar or two per can.

I personally like starch to make my fabrics quite stiff. Best Press and cans of sizing never added enough stiffness for my purposes.

When I want to starch yardage, I use Sta-Flo diluted half-and-half with water, brushed on with a large wall painting brush to saturation, and then toss in the dryer before ironing. I find this to be faster and easier than trying to spray starch yards (or meters) of fabric.

Last edited by Prism99; 07-31-2018 at 10:52 AM.