Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Types of Starch >

Types of Starch

Types of Starch

Old 07-31-2018, 05:14 AM

Default Types of Starch

I've recently started using starch on some of the quilts I make. I am currently using easy off starch for "clothing" ... are there "better" starches out there? I do like the results that I have with this starch, but have no idea where to start to even compare. And the easy off is cheap LOL ... while I don't mind paying a bit extra for a fabulous product, just wondering if there really is a difference. I do all types of quilting, embroidery, etc.

Please share your experiences for me, thanks a bunch!
Old 07-31-2018, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

I used to use spray starch, until I had problems getting it here in Ontario.
One thing I noticed was that it would flake off, leaving white.
Also, that lighter fabrics would get scorched ... enough that I was scared to use lights.

Switched to Best Press ... and honestly it is The best ... IMHO!

Yes I was hesitant about the price, but once I was using it, price did not become an issue.
Like you ... if it is a good product, I don't mind paying the extra price.
Have never had any scorching or flaking issues.

One time with a push by an LQS (who did not sell Best Press), I tried her Flatter.
(or was it called Flatten?).
Her claim was that it was better than Best Press.
Well, IMHO it was not ... and Best Press was Still Best!

No doubt about it ... Best Press is my only way to go now!

****hangs head in shame for using capitals****

Last edited by QuiltE; 07-31-2018 at 05:49 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-31-2018, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

I'm not too wild about Best Press. Here's why: you have to use a ton of it and it's very pricey. I bought a gallon of it awhile ago and you wouldn't believe how fast I'm going through it. I also don't like the cheap lavender scent they put in it. It isn't like real lavender at all.
I just bought Sta-Flo at Kroger and am going to give it a whirl.
I never used to use starch until people here talked about it and it really does help.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lyric girl View Post
I never tried Flatter until recently. In my opinion, it works great on some cotton fabrics but not most, and it's WAY more expensive than Best Press.
Interesting ... I had thought so, but just went with it at the time.

Of course, just might be a good reason to push sales,
being that the shop also distributes it across Canada!
Old 07-31-2018, 06:07 AM

They have an unscented Best Press.

I use Best Press, but haven't tried any other kinds of starch so can't offer a comparison. From what people have said, regular starch makes the fabric much stiffer than Best Press does. For me, the ease of use is what keeps me with the Best Press. I have read some pretty complicated processes for using starch, like dunking fabric and putting it in the freezer for a time. With the Best Press, you can press immediately after spraying.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I'm not too wild about Best Press. Here's why: you have to use a ton of it and it's very pricey. I bought a gallon of it awhile ago and you wouldn't believe how fast I'm going through it. I also don't like the cheap lavender scent they put in it. It isn't like real lavender at all.
I just bought Sta-Flo at Kroger and am going to give it a whirl.
I never used to use starch until people here talked about it and it really does help.
I hate any of the scents ... and just get the unscented.

Price, yes seems pricey, but the larger container you buy, the lower the price, per volume.

A year ago, I gasped when I saw how much the price had gone up on the gallon jug.
Checked Amazon and talk about a huge price differential on the gallon .

It was tough to buy it online, because I truly believe in supporting brick and mortar shops.
But at a 25% saving, I really could not justify the added price.
Checked recently both ways ... and still the huge difference in price.
(note, these are Ontario, Canada observations ... don't know about other places)
Old 07-31-2018, 06:19 AM

I home-make a sizing just like Best Press, vodka and water, no scent. Works great! (I add a 2 tblsp of Sta Flo - no reason, not needed!)
Old 07-31-2018, 07:36 AM

Quilters moonshine, recipe on Pinterest, Vodka distilled water and a bit of liquid starch better than best press and if you want it scented you can choose your own
Old 07-31-2018, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

My DD gave me a gallon of Best Press, I won a bottle of Flatter at a quilt show, I have made homemade starch, I have diluted Sta Flo and boiled Argo. I have used Niagara, Faultless and the new Oxford and Wells ironing starch. What do I use the most? A can of Magic Sizing from Walmart for .98 a can. It does a better job of adding crispness to fabric. I respray it into a mister spray bottle. I use Terial Magic when I want very stiff fabric for bias cuts.

Oh I noticed Magic Sizing went up to $1.12 a can at Walmart. I usually buy a case at a time so don't know when it went up.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

I used to avoid spray starch because it would flake on me unless I waited awhile for it to sink into the fabric, and it would sometimes scorch the fabric (scorched starch washes out of the fabric later, but even so.....) when my iron was too hot. Finally I found a spray starch I like. It never flakes on me, scorches, or gunks up my iron. I don't know if it's available in Canada, but the name of it is Faultless Premium Professional Starch (about $4 a can). This is the most expensive starch in the Faultless line; it was the cheaper Faultless spray starches that I didn't like. Once I found this brand, I decided it was worth an extra dollar or two per can.

I personally like starch to make my fabrics quite stiff. Best Press and cans of sizing never added enough stiffness for my purposes.

When I want to starch yardage, I use Sta-Flo diluted half-and-half with water, brushed on with a large wall painting brush to saturation, and then toss in the dryer before ironing. I find this to be faster and easier than trying to spray starch yards (or meters) of fabric.

Last edited by Prism99; 07-31-2018 at 10:52 AM.