Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Types of Starch >

Types of Starch

Types of Starch

Old 08-01-2018, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

Explain how you get Magic sizing into a spray bottle. Thank you
Just spray it in it.

The Argo Gloss Laundry starch at the grocery stores here. And some Walmarts will have it. I think it's more of a southern thing as I have never found it in stores anywhere outside the south.

Last edited by Onebyone; 08-01-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
I much prefer starch to best press, it goes a LOT farther and COSTS a lot less. A lot of people have the problems with the flaking, gunky, but that's because the correct way to do starch, is to spray/brush the starch on the right side of the fabric, fold/roll/smush the sprayed fabric into a plastic baggie, close up the bag and let it "marinate" for a minimum 2 hours, then take it out, let air dry or put in the drier for a few minutes, then you can iron it and you won't get the flaking or a gunky iron. The reason for the flaking/gunk is because when you spray then iron, you're ironing the starch and not the fabric. I just use the concentrated Sta-Flo and dilute it 50-50, maybe add a little extra starch.
Thanks for the tip. I just bought Sta-flo but didn't realize you had to leave it for awhile. Now I know!
Old 08-01-2018, 04:35 PM

Since I use so much starch and have problems with my wrist, I have discovered that a simple pump garden sprayer, works fabulously, I use the one without the hose.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:56 AM

Flaking from starch comes from not letting it penetrate the fabric before pressing. If you spray and then immediately iron the starch is on the surface of the fabric and when the hot iron hits it it flakes. To get the full benefit from starch you need to let it penetrate the fibers of the fabric.
I use liquid starch that comes in a large bottle and dilute it 50/50 with water. I put it in a spray bottle I got at a beauty supply place because it comes out in a fine mist. The fine mist makes the starch (or Best Press) go further and coats the fabric more evenly. Once my fabric is sprayed I roll it up and put it in a plastic bag to let it mellow. After a bit of time I then press it. No flaking or residue on my iron that way. Much the same as when we sprinkled clothes "back in the day".
I will use Best Press occasionally to freshen up a block after it is constructed but again I put it in a bottle from a beauty supply place (like Sally's) as the fine mist makes it go further.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:11 AM

My favorite is Maxx by Faultless. It is difficult to find but some Kmarts have it. It is stronger than most other starches I have used and yields a firmer finish.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
Since I use so much starch and have problems with my wrist, I have discovered that a simple pump garden sprayer, works fabulously, I use the one without the hose.
The new mister bottles are great. Works like a garden sprayer. It's lighter and takes up less space. I use the garden sprayer for spray basting.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sephie View Post
I'm dying to ask: some of you are talking about using Argo starch. Are you talking about Argo Corn Starch? I use it for cooking and it's readily available in the baking aisle at the grocery store.

I've read many people's comments that starch attracts bugs. I don't know if it's all starches - commercial and homemade, or if it's only the homemade versions. I don't often use starch, but when I do, it's Sta-Flo because it keeps forever and it's easy to control the dilution.
Starch is a food for bugs - made from corn starch. Sizing is not a food source so does not attract bugs. Living in south FL makes you very aware of what not to use!! I prefer Magic Sizing & Best Press makes me gasp & not just over the price! LOL!
Old 08-02-2018, 02:15 PM

I too am using and it does everything a starch should do. It is a little pricey on amazon but have tried a lot of products and this one is the best. I'm not a fan of best press because it seems more like a sizer than starch.
The Faultless Maxx does not flake either.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:43 AM

WOW Quite a lot of comments! Thanks so much. Since I'm happy with my Easy On ... I'll probably just stay with it LOL Maybe one day I'll try something else