Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Types of Starch >

Types of Starch

Types of Starch

Old 07-31-2018, 06:05 PM
Gay

I only use the powdered starch from the laundry section of the supermarket, mix a teaspoon in a spray bottle of hot water. Sometimes I micro-wave it a little first to dissolve the powder, but not always. A jar has lasted me for a couple of years, though I only make 4 or 5 quilts per year.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:49 PM
Power Poster

It is very difficult to find powdered starch here in the U.S. I finally found some Argo on Amazon.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:06 PM

I use Best Press. I use unscented, and use my JoAnn’s coupon when I need more (supplies like Best Press, 505, needles, batting, etc. I get at Joann’s with a coupon. Fabric always from a LQS or Etsy.)
Old 08-01-2018, 03:03 AM

I've used the canned spray starch and the canned sizing. Of those two I prefer the starch vs the sizing for crispness/stiffness of the fabric. Both of those, IMO, do take a few minutes to absorb into the fabric. A few years ago I switched to the sta-flo liquid in the gallon jug. Bought a $1 sprayer (as I had no others at the time at home). Mix at a 50% ratio with water into the spray bottle. I spray my yardage as I'm ironing after pre-washing. It (to me) absorbs into the fabric much quicker than the canned sprays and I can iron immediately. I have no issues with flaking or scorching with this starch. I have a steam iron with a stainless soleplate that does also not get dirty/messy/gunky with this starch.

I've not used Best Press - although a friend of mine does. Her blocks do look nice and crisp but I don't think enough better for me to have a need to switch products. Especially at the price of Best Press. Sta Flo is quite reasonable and very available.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
It is very difficult to find powdered starch here in the U.S. I finally found some Argo on Amazon.
I couldn't find it at Kroger. I bought Sta-flo instead.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:33 AM

I'm dying to ask: some of you are talking about using Argo starch. Are you talking about Argo Corn Starch? I use it for cooking and it's readily available in the baking aisle at the grocery store.

I've read many people's comments that starch attracts bugs. I don't know if it's all starches - commercial and homemade, or if it's only the homemade versions. I don't often use starch, but when I do, it's Sta-Flo because it keeps forever and it's easy to control the dilution.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:57 AM

Trying to find any starch in my area is like finding hen's teeth. I may need to run to three stores as well as Dollar General etc. and find none. And then the day is shot because I live in a rural area. If anyone does have it, it is usually an aerosol, which I can't use at all due to respiratory and health issues. I saw a video where Niagra spray starch was used in a spray bottle and I had to order it from Amazon. The smell is very strong and it irritates me so I can't use it either. I was able to order a gallon of unscented Best Press from Walmart online and it was dirt cheap and shipped in two days. If I need my fabric stiffer, say for machine embroidery, I use Terial Magic, which is also scented. Oh and as a side note...I have diluted Best Press so it lasts longer.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:09 AM

I watch Jo-Ann's ads when they sell Best Press by the gallon I mail order it. Or did. I did not order enough and was dropped from their email. Interesting what QBers have to say. Will watch future postings and see what I can find locally.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sephie View Post
I'm dying to ask: some of you are talking about using Argo starch. Are you talking about Argo Corn Starch? I use it for cooking and it's readily available in the baking aisle at the grocery store.
No, although some people do mix up cornstarch with water to use for quilting. I am talking about Argo Gloss Laundry Starch. Here is a link:
https://www.amazon.com/ARGO-H-PC-854...dp/B008FCJN6C/

It may be made with cornstarch; I don't know. The package does not list ingredients, but there are also no warnings about it being inedible or toxic in any way.

There are many kinds of starch. Those made with plants (potato starch, rice starch, corn starch, etc.) are the ones that can attract bugs; however, that is usually the case only if you live in a hot, humid climate where there are a lot of bugs to begin with. It doesn't seem to be a problem in Minnesota and Wisconsin, but I can see it being a potential problem in Florida or Costa Rica.

Last edited by Prism99; 08-01-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:40 PM

I much prefer starch to best press, it goes a LOT farther and COSTS a lot less. A lot of people have the problems with the flaking, gunky, but that's because the correct way to do starch, is to spray/brush the starch on the right side of the fabric, fold/roll/smush the sprayed fabric into a plastic baggie, close up the bag and let it "marinate" for a minimum 2 hours, then take it out, let air dry or put in the drier for a few minutes, then you can iron it and you won't get the flaking or a gunky iron. The reason for the flaking/gunk is because when you spray then iron, you're ironing the starch and not the fabric. I just use the concentrated Sta-Flo and dilute it 50-50, maybe add a little extra starch.